Herb's "Beyond" CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
I just finished up Herb's "Beyond" from 1980 which runs 39:58. It is indeed the Canyon Records Japan import. Somehow, there was no liner notes on who is playing on the CD because pages 2 & 3 are blanked & white. I think someone must have thrown out the Japanese writing. The song "The Factory" has Peter Frampton on guitar. The title track "Beyond" is still my favorite, followed by "Kamali" & "Red Hot". Now I have 2 more CD's of Herb to go which will take me till the first or second week of July to say the least. The CD of "Beyond" was $ 134.00 so it isn't cheap!!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Matt, does your CD look like one of the two below?

BeyondCounterfeit.jpg
BeyondReal.jpg

Harry

I just finished up Herb's "Beyond" from 1980 which runs 39:58. It is indeed the Canyon Records Japan import. Somehow, there was no liner notes on who is playing on the CD because pages 2 & 3 are blanked & white. I think someone must have thrown out the Japanese writing. The song "The Factory" has Peter Frampton on guitar. The title track "Beyond" is still my favorite, followed by "Kamali" & "Red Hot". Now I have 2 more CD's of Herb to go which will take me till the first or second week of July to say the least. The CD of "Beyond" was $ 134.00 so it isn't cheap!!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI
That Beyond import was super expen$ive-I think the most I ever paid for a Japanese import was $40.00.

Beyond was available on CD in the US in the 1980's.It came out on disc around 1987 and went out-of-print in the early 1990's.

Beyond was available on CD in the US in the 1980's.It came out on disc around 1987 and went out-of-print in the early 1990's.

I believe that to be wrong. BEYOND was only ever issued in Japan on CD. It had a D32Y issue and a later D18Y (priced down) issue by Pony Canyon. Both were only in print for a very short time.

Harry

I believe that to be wrong. BEYOND was only ever issued in Japan on CD. It had a D32Y issue and a later D18Y (priced down) issue by Pony Canyon. Both were only in print for a very short time.

Harry
All of Herb's 80's albums,including Beyond,were issued on CD in the US.They were part of the "audio masters plus series" from 1986/1987. I do remember seeing Beyond in the stores,as well as Magic Man,Blow Your Own Horn & Bullish.(Wild Romance,also).

All of those albums went out-of-print by the early 1990's.A US copy of Beyond would probably be almost impossible to find today.

The duet album with Hugh Masekela from 1978 was issued on CD in 1989 or 1990-but that only stayed in-print for a few years ,also.

All of Herb's 80's albums,including Beyond,were issued on CD in the US.They were part of the "audio masters plus series" from 1986/1987. I do remember seeing Beyond in the stores,as well as Magic Man,Blow Your Own Horn & Bullish.(Wild Romance,also).

All of those albums went out-of-print by the early 1990's.A US copy of Beyond would probably be almost impossible to find today.

The duet album with Hugh Masekela from 1978 was issued on CD in 1989 or 1990-but that only stayed in-print for a few years ,also.

And I have all of those that you listed. However BEYOND was only issued in Japan. It's possible you saw an import copy in the racks, but there is no US issue that I know of. Steve S, can probably confirm.

Harry

Looks like Matt's copy is the bootleg CDR ("Mae" by Canyon Records).

And no, Beyond was NEVER issued in the US.

Capt. Bacardi

Those are pictures I put up. I wanted Matt to tell us if his matched sample #1 or sample #2 to determine if it's genuine There are a lot of fakes out there.

My first picture is of the counterfeit that I got suckered into a few years ago. I got my money back - and the seller refused to give me a correct address to send the disc back, so I still have it.

The second picture is of the genuine article and was sent to me by Steve S. when I wanted evidence for eBay resolution. Obviously they sided with me.

Harry

Last edited:
By the way, the manager at Records & Tapes Galore in Saginaw, Michigan got me the "Beyond" CD. He will also get me "Magic Man" & "Blow Your Own Horn" as well BUT it will take me till late June or early July so I can save the money!! I cannot pay over the internet because my brother Mike won't let me. :sad: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Matt, if I were you I'd take a copy of the pictures in this thread back to the dealer and try to get your money back - unless you're happy with the counterfeit. It was, at least, well made for a fake and used the original Japanese CD as a source for the audio, so it sounds fine. It's just that - it's not the real thing.

Harry

There was neither a U.S. nor Canadian CD release of BEYOND.

How do I know for sure? A&M catalogs for U.S. and Canada from the day only list the album as available on vinyl and cassette.

The same info is on Discogs, for what that's worth. Thanks Steve for the confirmation.

Harry

The CD was either from Amazon or EBay so I'm not sure. I am happy about the CD!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

There was neither a U.S. nor Canadian CD release of BEYOND.

How do I know for sure? A&M catalogs for U.S. and Canada from the day only list the album as available on vinyl and cassette.
Interesting piece of info-I'm almost positive I saw Beyond in the stores back in the late 80's,and I usually have a photographic memory with A&M product. I guess it must have been the Japanese import.

Can't figure why A&M would've issued every album from Rise(1979) through Wild Romance(1985) on CD-and not Beyond(1980)?

Last edited:
I found a copy of the Beyond CD in the HMV store on Oxford Street in London back in 1988, it was imported from Japan.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

Can't figure why A&M would've issued every album from Rise(1979) through Wild Romance(1985) on CD-and not Beyond(1980)?

In '82, FANDANGO was released, but never saw a CD until quite a few years later (thread about this here somewhere). Makes one wonder how often times they clearly miss the obvious!

It isn't too surprising that Beyond didn't get an American CD issue. At the time it came out ('80) CDs had mostly been developed but weren't being sold commercially yet. By the time CDs went mainstream with every new release coming out in the format (mid to late '80s), Beyond was already considered a "catalog" title and not a very big selling one at that. There was kind of a "gray area" period in the mid '80s where record companies would cherry pick their artists' catalogs, releasing the best sellers and "important" albums on CD but not whole catalogs. Beyond fell into that gray area.

Why A&M would have released Wild Romance, a relative flop, on CD while ignoring Beyond which was a followup to a blockbuster seller....well the marketing department might have to answer that one!

The same thing happened with a lot of great music from that era....I am still amazed when I look through my old records and realize how much of that music never made it to CD.

Why A&M would have released Wild Romance, a relative flop, on CD while ignoring Beyond which was a followup to a blockbuster seller....

No idea on Beyond, but Wild Romance was released in the CD era, so it came out on CD as a new album.

I don't even sweat digital anymore to be honest--the vinyl sounds so much better, and the only way you can get digital now is with sh!tty MP3s. I bought a clean, sealed Beyond about 10 years ago, and it sounds better than a copy of the CD I got.

I managed to secure a genuine CD of BEYOND. It's the D18Y version that was released sometime later than the D32Y. This one is surely genuine with the proper CD fonts and logos, everything's printed correctly and on the correct materials, it has insert sheets with the proper Japanese catalog info and credits, but is missing its obi. It's this version as pictured in Discogs:

1708877553909.png
R-3094529-1369936128-8598.jpeg

So now I can put to rest the sordid chapter of my encounter with counterfeits. Anyone want a fake?

Harry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom