Herb "Magic Man" CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
I went to Records & Tapes Galore in Saginaw, Michigan & found out that the manager got the "Magic Man" CD for me. I haven't bought it yet but I checked the CD & the CD was indeed made in Japan & no scratches whatsoever & in great shape. I will have to wait until Monday, June 23 to save the money which the CD is $ 180 because I am getting Neil Young "A Letter Home" (comes out Tuesday) & the first 3 Led Zeppelin reissues remasters (which comes out June 3) & getting the Deluxe Editions (2 CD sets) instead of the boxed sets. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Ouch! I bought the US CD when it came out but, stupidly sold the vinyl back to the store in the 80s. Took me a few trips to find a clean LP to replace it in recent years. A shame we have to pay sick money to get CDs like that, especially when all that are left now are crappy MP3s on Amazon and/or elsewhere.

I'm getting the Led Zep remasters on vinyl--just the single LPs since I have no interest in the extras. They may not be 100% like the originals but it beats spending hundreds to find clean vinyl copies of those, 99.99999% of which have probably led a really rough life. (Some stores down here don't even have Led Zep on the shelves--it sells fast.) I may get the Pink Panther soundtrack reissue coming out June 3rd, as it'll be on black vinyl and quieter than the colored vinyl. And there is a 2-LP Dire Straits On Every Street 180g reissue coming out in the EU as well. Good times ahead. :D

Rudy: Do you get your vinyl at Encore Recordings in downtown Ann Arbor, MI??? Just asking. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I am also getting from Records & Tapes Galore in Saginaw, MI, former Blood, Sweat & Tears lead singer David Clayton-Thomas first 2 albums (on 1 CD) which are self-titled & "Tequila Sunrise" (NOT the Eagles song) which will cost $ 59 because Edsel Records U.K. is out of print BUT Repertoire reissued the self-titled 1972 CD back a few years ago. My total is 7 more CD's which will also include Herb's "Blow Your Own Horn" which will cost about $ 139.00 & then, I will have the complete Herb solo & Tijuana Brass collection as of now. After that is over with, I am going to save my money starting the first week of July 7 for a long trip but I am not sure where I will be going though. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Rudy: Do you get your vinyl at Encore Recordings in downtown Ann Arbor, MI??? Just asking. Matt Clark Sanford, MI
Not too often, I don't get over there as much as I want to. There are a few others also. PJs, Wazoo, etc. I just don't have time to kill a day like that anymore. It was easier when I lived 20 minutes away.

I've had far better luck getting good clean playable vinyl from trusted Discogs sellers than any stores that are local to me.

Just to let you know I will be picking up the "Magic Man" CD on Monday, June 30. I will give you the report on the songs on the used CD on that Monday or Tuesday, July 1. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I had the US CD from the week it was released; I usually play the vinyl though. It's one of the best A&M custom labels IMHO...

lp_silver_purple.jpg

Wish I hadn't sold my vinyl copy. :mad: Had to find another, and it's not in immaculate condition like mine were. :mad:

I thought this album was sensational. I still have my original copy. Artwork is very well done.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Magic Man was the very first Herb Alpert "record " I bought on CD. I got it in NYC right by Penn Station in the early 80s. Have always liked "Manhattan Melody" - I always smile when I hear it on the radio or in stores - though I like the entire album...

Rudy: Do you get your vinyl at Encore Recordings in downtown Ann Arbor, MI???

I should add: I really don't know of any good places locally that carry new vinyl. Dearborn Music has a decent section, but none of the popular titles I've wanted have ever been in stock. PJ's in Ann Arbor had some when I was there several years ago, but I can't stomach the political BS talk show that is often playing in the store. On top of being pricey.

I've figured out how to make a small fortune in this town. Take a large fortune, and open a used record store.... :sigh:

He always cracked me up on stage when he'd break into the beginning of Spanish Flea, stop and deadpan, "Hey...it bought the shirt on my back..." and he'd go right on playing.

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Reminds me of the joke Herb told on a comedy show he was hosting around 1990: How do you make a million bucks playing jazz?

Well, you start with two million.... :D

Capt. Bacardi

You know, he might have said that when he was in Lansing in 2009--sounds very familiar. :D

My review of "Magic Man": The title track, "Manhattan Melody" & "Besame Mucho" are my favorites. The CD was $ 189.00 Singer Richard Page (former Mr. Mister of "Broken Wings" fame) makes an appearance on the song "I Get It From You" (which Herb does the vocal). The song "Secret Garden" has the swirl type of song. As Christopher Walken said to Will Ferrell "Needs more cowbell" in which I heard the songs "Fantasy Island" (NOT the ABC theme song to the TV show back then) & the remake of the 1974 song "You Smile-The Song Begins". Another great CD behind "Fandango", his next release. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The only complaint I ever had with the MAGIC MAN album was the 36 minute length, vs. 40-44 minutes on others (RISE, FANDANGO). I'm thinking there could've just as easily been another song or two squeezed in, but hey... all of the eight tracks that are there qualify as stellar. No need to skip over anything, I can just put this one on and play it start to finish.

I remember when the album was released. I was visiting a friend in Clearwater and we walked a couple of blocks from his house to the mall. I bought the album and we headed back to his place. The mall parking lot has berms going down to the sidewalk. I slipped and rolled down the berm, head over heels to the sidewalk below, my album flying through the air and out of the bag.

How do I remember this so vividly? I had all of my 8mm films transferred to disc a couple of years ago. My friend just so happened to be filming when I rolled down that berm. The next scene has me running to catch the bag in the breeze, the Magic Man album laying in the grass beside me.

So much for my pride! :wink:

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

I remember when the album was released. I was visiting a friend in Clearwater and we walked a couple of blocks from his house to the mall. I bought the album and we headed back to his place. The mall parking lot has berms going down to the sidewalk. I slipped and rolled down the berm, head over heels to the sidewalk below, my album flying through the air and out of the bag.

How do I remember this so vividly? I had all of my 8mm films transferred to disc a couple of years ago. My friend just so happened to be filming when I rolled down that berm. The next scene has me running to catch the bag in the breeze, the Magic Man album laying in the grass beside me.

So much for my pride! :wink:

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

And I thought you'd never top the "Escalator Boy" episode...

Dan

LOL! You remember that? How funny is that? What's more, Lani remembers it too!!

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom