Herb & Frank Sinatra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my earliest eBay purchases was for this Christmas sampler from A&M.
various174124.jpg

A&M Records Christmas Sampler 14 tracks w/Frank Sinatra & Cyndi Lauper, Aaron Neville, Eurythmics, The Sounds Of Blackness (2), Aaron Neville, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Amy Grant, The Sounds Of Blackness, Aaron Neville, John Cougar Mellencamp, Amy Grant, The Carpenters, Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, A&M 31458 8048.

I just figured that any CD that had both Frank & Herb had to be a curiosity.

Harry

Neat. The article doesn't say exactly WHEN Sinatra's proposal came through. I can see Herb perhaps turning it down in the 1960s, as he may had a case of "I'm not worthy." I then thought of Frank's DUETS albums, but I don't think Frank himself had much to do with the nuts and bolts of those projects. My best guess would be maybe it was after the success of "This Guy's In Love With You." As far as I can remember, Frank never did his own version of the tune, which probably means respect for the singer (he never covered "Scotch And Soda" by The Kingston Trio because he felt that vocalist Bob Shane did the song the best as it was). And didn't Herb date Nancy Sinatra for a while, or were those just press photo-ops? Something like; "Here Herb, stand over there!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom