Herb and Jim Brickman on "Rendezvous"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Just saw a promo video of Herb with Jim Brickman back when they performed "Rendezvous" on Brickman's Destiny album:

Capt. Bacardi

Sweet stuff! I actually have this CD, and I bought it because of...well, you guessed it-Herb! The song does have that "latin thing" that both men talked about, and it's rather pleasing. Brickman's music okay, but not really my cup of tea. It tends to be somewhat cloying, and a trifle saccharine, but that's to be expected, because he is an easy listening musician, and not Oscar Peterson, or Brubeck ,or Joe Sample or somebody like that.

Oh yeah, is Brickman a Christian? reason why I ask is because he uses a lot of "Contemporary Christian" singers on his tracks, and also I read an interview with him, and he said that the reason why he uses Christian singers is that because that they are musically very good storytellers, and get straight to the point.Also, I believe that he realeased and album of easy listening renditions of famous gospel songs recently.Anyway, just curious about that.

Well, like I said before, the song is very nice, and is tailor made for Herb, and even if you aren't a fan of Brickman's style, you will like the duet between him and Herb.

jazzdre

Sweet stuff! I actually have this CD, and I bought it because of...well, you guessed it-Herb! The song does have that "latin thing" that both men talked about, and it's rather pleasing. Brickman's music okay, but not really my cup of tea. It tends to be somewhat cloying, and a trifle saccharine, but that's to be expected, because he is an easy listening musician, and not Oscar Peterson, or Brubeck ,or Joe Sample or somebody like that.

Oh yeah, is Brickman a Christian? reason why I ask is because he uses a lot of "Contemporary Christian" singers on his tracks, and also I read an interview with him, and he said that the reason why he uses Christian singers is that because that they are musically very good storytellers, and get straight to the point.Also, I believe that he realeased and album of easy listening renditions of famous gospel songs recently.Anyway, just curious about that.

Well, like I said before, the song is very nice, and is tailor made for Herb, and even if you aren't a fan of Brickman's style, you will like the duet between him and Herb.

jazzdre

I bought Jim Brickman's DESTINY album when it came out (around early 2000) because it had several great tracks on it featuring some stellar artists (Carly Simon, Michael W. Smith, and of course, Herb Alpert). Jim Brickman is a talented pianist, but I agree that his music by itself is generally modern day Muzak for Delilah. This album, however, had several vocal tracks to "break up the monotony", thus making it a decent listen. But honestly, I could never see myself collecting Jim Brickman's albums.
He also did a couple of decent sounding tunes featuring vocalists before recording this album: "The Gift" featuring Susan Ashton, and of course he was the musical backbone on Martina McBride's "Valentine" single.
But all in all, the one track I find I've played the most, and have incorporated into more playlists than any on my iPod... is "Rendezvous" with Herb Alpert. What a shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom