Herb Alpert Interview from 1987

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting interview! There's really not much new here if you're an Herb Alpert fan(his start in record biz, his meeting Lou Adler, his friendship with Sam Cooke, his starting of A&M Records, how he developed "The Lonely Bull", etc), but still there are some stories that I didn't know about like his association with Sonny Bono, and his meeting with the Queen Of England, and Prince Phillip, which are kind of amusing.

Also, this is the first time I've heard Herb curse on audio! He says "BS" in his dealings with RCA Records;how it wasn't a pleasant time for him there. This was from a series of interviews conducted by a Joe Smith, with not just Herb, but a slew of other recording artists as well and was compiled in a book called-you guessed it-OFF THE RECORD. It was published in 1988, and had interviews with everybody from Barry White to Burt Bacharach, to Dionne Warwick, Cliff Richard, Fabian, Isaac Hayes among others;hence why the book was called OFF THE RECORD. The book was basically an oral history of the modern era of pop music from that time on I believe from the 30s to the 80s.Smith's interview with Herb was edited/condensed for the book, so what we're getting here is the full length interview, which was pretty interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom