Help remembering an A&M single

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
Can someone help me remember a single whose name/artist has completely escaped me? I'm 99.9% sure this was an A&M act, a black female vocalist who had a big hit (like Top 10) in 1998 where Branford Marsalis guested on sax. She says something like "play it, Branford" or "take it, Branford" before his solo. Does that ring any bells?

I'm not sure this is the record you're thinking of, but I do remember an excellent R&B single from the '90s that came out on Motown by a then-teenaged girl named Shanice called "I Love Your Smile" that featured Marsalis on sax and her exclaiming, "Blow, Branford, blow!" during his solo. It's a fairly hard record to identify (as a deejay, I can tell you that's one of those records that no one who comes up to request it ever seems to know what the title is and has to hum it! :laugh:), if only because it has an almost entirely wordless chorus and largely consists of a long string of "doo doo doos" from the backing vocalists. Let me know if that's the one you're thinking of!

- Jeff

First of all, a man named Jeff is never to be questioned. :)

This may be it, but here's the joke: I know for a fact this was in heavy rotation in Salt Lake City in 1998 when I was there for my mother's funeral, because I distinctly remember hearing it repeatedly on the radio then. SLC gets its R&B tunes a little late, evidently. :)

Ironically (and this may be the source for your confusion) Shanice's first album was on A&M in the late 80's; this song, her biggest hit, was from her second album on Motown....went back and listened to it - I forgot how much I love this song. Just happy pop music without an attitude - anything wrong with that?

"I Love Your Smile" is a great track. She also had another good song called "Saving Forever For You" which appeared on the Beverly Hills, 90210 soundtrack album. It was her second-biggest pop hit peaking at #4. ("I Love Your Smile" peaked at #2.)

Shanice was on the debut of "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" back in late May 1992!! Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I'm not sure this is the record you're thinking of, but I do remember an excellent R&B single from the '90s that came out on Motown by a then-teenaged girl named Shanice called "I Love Your Smile" that featured Marsalis on sax and her exclaiming, "Blow, Branford, blow!" during his solo.

"Blow, daddy!" Reminds me of Rick James' "Super Freak". :D (Wherein the single edit and album version fade out just before the track really starts groovin'...only on 12". :wink: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom