Hello from new member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Bitman

I’ve gotten the impression that when joining these forums, it’s protocol for new members to tell who they are and why they’re joining. I guess I’ll answer those questions in reverse order, because once I start on the first question, I’ll never shut up about my life story.

Recently, I wrote a little biographical article about Herb Alpert, just for the fun of it. I came up with a list of questions, mostly because the answers to some of them might look good in the biography, but I also want to ask some questions just out of sheer curiosity. I combed the internet – including these forums – and found quite a few answers, but I still have about a dozen questions left I’d like to ask.

I’m afraid I might get frustrated when I do, because I’m a cheapskate. (I’ll expound on that subject soon.) You could give me fantastic answers to my questions, but if your source is, for example, some article from a magazine dating back many years, I’d be too cheap to order a copy myself to verify that. Still, I’d like to give this a shot, as long as I can do so at no cost to myself.

So who am I? Well, actually, I’m nobody much. I get the impression that some of you on these forums are real music fans, going to many concerts and hunting down rare records and music memorabilia. I don’t do that stuff. I pinch pennies to a fault, especially when it comes to entertainment.

But now and then, I veer off that narrow road. And for Herb Alpert I strayed farther than I would have believed.

Now I’ve been a fan of Herb Alpert’s music since before I was old enough to pronounce his name. My grandparents, who lived out of town, used to have five of his albums from the 1960s, and at the end of one annual visit to those relatives, I took those records home and listened to them to death. Someone (I think it may have been my other grandmother) got me Rise and I liked that as well (as long as I could pretend that this Herb Alpert was a different musician who happened to have the same name.) In my teens, I was lucky enough to find six more old Tijuana Brass records at a yard sale, and I played to those to death as well. After a few more years, though, I grew tired of Alpert, and stopped listening.

Flash forward over two decades to 2014. By that time, my old records were long lost. On a whim, I started listening to TJB records on YouTube… and I couldn’t stop! In a few weeks, I felt compelled to buy more than a dozen “Shout! Factory” re-issues of old Alpert albums. I hadn't bought so much music - nor spent so much money on frivolous things - in such a short period of time since the 1990s.

But perhaps I shocked myself even more with just one album: Bullish. I listened to it on YouTube, and said “I must have this.” I no longer have a turntable (except one old built-in-speaker record player for children) and the only way to get a digital copy (legally, anyway) was to order an old CD from a 3rd-party vendor through Amazon for $25.

That might not seem like so much to you collectors, but to me, such a price is laughable. I had never considered paying nearly so much for a single album!

And I bought it. And I questioned my own sanity.

Months later came the matter of research. I was browsing through books, wanting some reading material for those long stretches of time when I didn’t have internet access, and I couldn’t think of any subjects about which I rather read than Herb Alpert and his music. I was surprised to find no real book on him, except The Herb Alpert File by Steve O’Rourke. (Curse myself for buying those albums in MP3 form! If only I had gotten the CDs, I’d have the liner notes, which may have all sorts of juicy tidbits! And now that I bought those albums, my cheapness has kicked in again, so I’m not buying them again. If only I could get those liner notes in PDF form, or something!)

So I started writing an article on Alpert (too short to be called a book) myself, starting me on the quest I described at the beginning of this post. And here I am.

I too am surprised that there's been no major book on Herb. There could be an A&M book -- the first half about Herb's early career, then about Jerry's, then the second half about what they accomplished together.

Nobody around here is a stranger to spending a bunch of money on something they really want. When Whipped Cream first came out on CD, I got two copies (I worked at a store that sold CDs). I bought one and kept the other as a spare. After the album was not available on CDs, I sold my extra copy on eBay for $149, so people will spend lots of $ on something they want badly.

Probably the most crazy spending I ever did, musicwise, was when Sergio Mendes' A&M catalog started coming out as imports. When those albums came out as expensive Japanese imports I just had to have'em, and I'm glad I bought them since a few have never come out domestically. I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of those disks.

I'm kicking myself for not having sold off my early TJB CDs when the price peaked! :laugh:

I do have an LP of Bullish that I purchased sealed a few years ago, and it's still not hard to find the occasional sealed LP out there. Surprising for something released decades ago!

Nobody around here is a stranger to spending a bunch of money on something they really want.
Exactly. Compared many of you, I'm no fan at all, at least in terms of money spent.

It's been months and months since I bought my last Alpert album. Since then, I've bought no music, no movies, no games, and in short, nothing for my own entertainment, except for one thing: I shelled out $3.99 so I could read The Herb Alpert File in digital form.

Yep, I've wondered why there has been no definitive book on Herb (or A&M). Herb and Jerry were certainly a major influence on the recording industry. After all, how many books have been written about Elvis or the Beatles?

I remember a few years ago that Herb was asked about a book and he didn't want to do one since he thought that was an end of a career kind of thing.

Compared many of you, I'm no fan at all, at least in terms of money spent.

Well you can be a fan without being a collector. I'm not that at all -- I'm a big fan of several artists to the point I'll buy any new items they put out, but I don't have all the various international issues, for example. I would say that all collectors are fans, but not all fans are collectors. And not all collectors are completists, which is somebody who wants to find at least one copy of every unique item released by an artist.

We have all kinds of fans here -- casual, collector and completist, so don't feel like you're an odd man out -- you're not. And feel free to ask any questions you like - we love to answer questions.

No book, Aaron, but there WAS a 4-part radio series made by the BBC some years back and titled "The Herb Alpert Story". I was one of the producers but copyright restrictions mean I can't offer you a copy - however if you look around you might find one. It might answer some of your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom