Finally tracked down a MFSL CD of A Song For You

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

After 11 years of searching, I finally was able to track down the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab CD of A Song for You! I gave it a quick listen and it sounds great. It's great to hear some of the remixes without them being EQ'd on the bright side.

Interesting that Intermission is remixed on the MFSL CD. I think it sounds better, actually. Does the remix appear anywhere else? I can't remember at the moment...and I don't have a remix in my iTunes library.

240181_4523964849708_1374241226_o.jpg

Actually, the Intermission remix appeared on a couple of other CD issues of "A Song for You". I parted with the first of those versions I had to swap for the initial release of "Song for You" (realizing if was going to become a rarity). This CD also (if I remember correctly) was my first hearing of the remix of "A Song for You". Another place the remixed "Intermission" appeared was on "The Compact Disc Collection" (the small booklet form, which I still have). Richard's notes for "A Song for You" in this collection: "I should mention that certain tracks have been re-mixed for this edition of "A Song for You". They are "A Song for You", "It's Going to Take Some Time", "Goodbye to Love", "Intermission", "Bless the Beasts and Children"." (Speaking of "It's Going to Take Some Time" - I'm hanging out to see Carole King in her Sydney, Australia concert this Valentine's Day)

John, I don't know what that first CD you mention is with a remix of "Intermission", but I have now confirmed that the COMPACT DISC COLLECTION version of A SONG FOR YOU is in fact a digital clone of the MFSL version of the album, with lots of remixes. I'll update the site with a mention of this soon. Thanks for the info.

Harry

Yep, that's the one all right. I found my copy in the 'marked down' bin at Tower records back in the 90's and paid a whopping $5.00 bucks for it. I thought it was pretty good overall in quality and the sound was amazing to say the least. I got many years of enjoyment out of it since it has always been one of my favorite Carpenter's albums, until the day that the CD fell out of the case as I was walking it over to the CD player and I STEPPED ON THE DISC and broke it into several pieces ! To say that I was upset with myself would be an understatement. I tried to kick myself around the room a few times but I could never get my foot to connect with my rear end without falling on my face first. Congratulations of finding a copy Raz. Just be aware that although the CD is of the highest quality, the jewel case is not so good and could ruin your day...

I never did like those silly jewel cases that didn't hold the disc securely. I've had some close calls myself.

Listening this morning to the MFSL disc.
The Liner Notes say: " I Won't Last A Day Without You" is the single mix. (I believe this to be in error--the amcorner resource corrects this.)
And, nowhere to be found is a 'timestamp' for that song. (Time is not listed on back cover-- or, the actual disc)
"The original A Song For You album commenced in November 1971."
"Dolby noise reduction utilized in final mix-down, only." (Precisely what this entails, I do not know.)
Richard Carpenter terms it another "favored album". (The original vinyl would, in my opinion, rank as one of their absolute finest.)
I must say that the disc has never sounded as clear as I had anticipated--and, even this morning's listen did
nothing to change my original disappointment in this pressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom