Evelyn Wallace RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

For anyone who was part of the fan club or corresponded with Karen & Richard, they are aware of Evelyn Wallace. She was their secretary and made sure to answer every letter sent to the Carpenters. I still have many of the kind notes she wrote back with answers to my teenage questions. Sorry to see another part of the Carpenters legacy leave us.

Here is what Randy Schmidt wrote on his Facebook page:

My dear friend Evelyn Wallace passed away this morning at the age of 93. She was Karen Carpenter's personal assistant and the Carpenters' secretary (and fan club secretary) for many, many years. Ev was instrumental in helping me construct Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter and the new edition of Yesterday Once More: The Carpenters Reader was dedicated to her. I will cherish the hours and hours of my taped interviews with Evelyn. As she would always say: "Rap Later."

I will always remember my excitement when I would get a CARPENTERS fan club newsletter in the mail, with news, and Ev's sign off, "Rap later"

Very sad news indeed. From everything I have read about her in the various biographies and in fans' recollections, she seemed like a wonderful lady and a great support to the Carpenter family and to Karen in particular. Too many Carpenter-related losses in recent years...Doug Strawn, Frank Pooler, Phil Ramone, Tony Peluso and now Evelyn. Very sad. :cry:

What photo?

I'm guessing this one (courtesy of Randy Schmidt via Little Girl Blue facebook page):

1238948_10151805814382179_511693557_n_zps9df58b95.jpg

I wonder when that photo of Karen & Evelyn was taken? It looks like Karen has her hair pulled up in the back, could this be 1981/82? Her face looks more like 78 though, it's rare to see Karen in a tank top and looks so relaxed.

I wonder when that photo of Karen & Evelyn was taken? It looks like Karen has her hair pulled up in the back, could this be 1981/82? Her face looks more like 78 though, it's rare to see Karen in a tank top and looks so relaxed.

It looks to me to be around 1978/1979. Karen added a 'B' (for Burris) to the diamond 'KC' logo on her sunglasses in 1980 so it's definitely before then.

She does look lovely and relaxed, though the tank top only reveals just how thin she was.

Good catch...didn't notice that about the initals...I'd love to know the exact date of the photo to determine what she was recording during the time. It's sad how thin she was and no one could get through to her.

I confess that when I wrote to the fan club and received a note from someone other than Karen or Richard, I was disappointed. That was the selfish teen in me. Of course, years later I could understand why. How wonderful of Ev to pay such close attention to the fans, and respond to our letters with such thoughtfulness and attention to detail. She was a witness to what truly went on in the lives of Karen and Richard, and she was so incredibly loyal to them through it all. A very classy lady who will be missed.

Rip Ms. Wallace. You meant a lot of things to a lot of people. I am glad Karen and Richard had such a great asset. Say hi to KC for me!!

I always remembered Ev's final words in the last fan club newsletter: "I wish all of you a lifetime of happiness,prosperity and good health".She was a very gracious lady.

The newsletter are back online again, you can read them all here:

http://www.karencarpenter.com/newsletter_index.html

One thing that always struck me about the July 1983 newsletter was this quote from Debra Vaiuso:

"We continued our weekly phone calls. [The Carpenter family] came to visit us in Guilford again in January (1983). On January 25th, while watching the Olivia Newton-John Special on HBO, I called KC to tell her how much I enjoyed it. She sounded so great, full of energy, vigor and excitement. She seemed to have pulled herself together and was ready to start a new lease on life. I asked her for some new photographs. We exchanged hugs and kisses. I received those photos on Saturday, February 5th, the day after her death".

The special that she refers to is Olivia in Concert, which premiered on HBO in January 1983. What's unusual is the way Debbie Vaiuso tells the story makes it sound as though Karen was featured in the special. Does anyone know for sure?

Last edited:
The closest I came to finding out about this was this quote from wikipedia:

"Olivia's personal friend, Karen Carpenter, attended various tour shows and considered the possibility of drumming during a few concerts, but dropped because of her deteriorating health. John Travolta also attended a show, and joined the stage with Newton-John".

So maybe there is footage of Karen somewhere on this TV special, even in the audience...

The newsletter are back online again, you can read them all here:

http://www.karencarpenter.com/newsletter_index.html

One thing that always struck me about the July 1983 newsletter was this quote from Debra Vaiuso:

"We continued our weekly phone calls. [The Carpenter family] came to visit us in Guilford again in January (1983). On January 25th, while watching the Olivia Newton-John Special on HBO, I called KC to tell her how much I enjoyed it. She sounded so great, full of energy, vigor and excitement. She seemed to have pulled herself together and was ready to start a new lease on life. I asked her for some new photographs. We exchanged hugs and kisses. I received those photos on Saturday, February 5th, the day after her death".

This infers Karen was in the special and surely she can't be referring to Olivia's 'Hollywood Nights' special because that aired way back in 1980. So does this mean Karen was in another special filmed much nearer to her passing, because I don't know of any?
The HBO special was actually called "Olivia in Concert"; dunno how to find out if there's footage of Karen from that, unless someone has a copy. Debra doesn't say that Karen was in it, just that she enjoyed it. She probably knew that they were friends, and maybe it just prompted her to call Karen.

Here is Ev's obit. from the Dessert news,
1920 ~ 2013
Evelyn L. Kalson Wallace passed away peacefully at age 93. Evelyn was born to Henry Kalson and Hazel Seybold in Waukesha, Wisconsin on February 2, 1920 and passed away August 30, 2013 in Sandy, Utah.
She had one sister, Virginia Brower. Evelyn had five children, two preceded her in death, an infant daughter, and a son, Gene Paul Scarce. Her living children are Sharon Schult, William Scarce, and Patricia Ivester. She also had a lifetime friend, Carolyn Arzac. Evelyn had 13 grandchildren and numerous great-grandchildren.
She worked at many various occupations, including the aerospace industry during the Apollo Mission era. In 1970, she went to work for the musical group, "The Carpenters" as their personal secretary. She moved to Utah in 1997. She was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
A memorial service will be held Saturday, Sept. 7 at 10:00 a.m. at the Union Park 6th Ward Chapel at 8060 South 615 East.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the ASPCA and Paralyzed Veterans. www.goffmortuary.com

Does anyone know the reason why Evelyn stopped writing the newsletters? It looks like she stopped in Sept 1978 and then Rosina started on Nov 1978 saying that Evelyn is fine just that she is full time working with Richard's car collection. Do you think this was true? Then Evelyn picked up the newsletter again July 1983 when Rosina had a family emergency. Then Rosina picks the letters back up in Feb 1984. Then Rosina retires and Ev picks up the letters again July 1985 to close.

Also what was the date of the last newsletter, the copy I have just says Newsletter #90 (Final)

Yes, yes... I too have numerous letters from Ev... I recall receiving those things - and treated them like gold. What a whimsical time in my life... Thanks, 'Ev' for adding to the whimsy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom