Double take - The Brass I Heard In Tijuana*

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffM

:eek: That's what I did when I saw an LP cover of a fake-TJB knockoff LP in a second-hand store yesterday...No doubt some of you are familiar with Los Norte Americanos' "The Band I Heard In Tijuana" LP from the folks who brought you the 101 Strings, and you've seen the cover many times. But this copy had a cover title "The BRASS I Heard In Tijuana!" Herb and his attorneys must have put the lid on that one right away.

Both the LP and cover were in crummy condition so I didn't buy it...but maybe I should go back again and see if it's "still there" as I couldn't find an image of the cover on Google.

:eek: That's what I did when I saw an LP cover of a fake-TJB knockoff LP in a second-hand store yesterday...No doubt some of you are familiar with Los Norte Americanos' "The Band I Heard In Tijuana" LP from the folks who brought you the 101 Strings, and you've seen the cover many times. But this copy had a cover title "The BRASS I Heard In Tijuana!" Herb and his attorneys must have put the lid on that one right away.

Both the LP and cover were in crummy condition so I didn't buy it...but maybe I should go back again and see if it's "still there" as I couldn't find an image of the cover on Google.

The first issue of the Los Norte Americanos album was indeed titled "The Brass I Heard in Tijuana".

$_35.JPG

They used to sell knockoffs like this in the supermarkets for a buck. I had this record at one time, it was a real stinker.

Hi guys there is one album I have buy the Living Brass called Mexico Lindo and they did two TJB cover songs Wade in The Water and A Banda.
bob

It's a bit harsh to call 'The Band/Brass I Heard in Tijuana' a stinker. It's a pleasant enough album, the jusicians are competent, the recording quality fine, and the best tracks are the originals that aren't Alpert copies. (Sixtynine 'Ole being my favourite)

Hi guys hi Jeff M, I know the album,I have it it is called Zorba the Greek/Tijuana Taxi with some bloned hair women on the cover with a green top. and with 2 trumpets. my own personal opinion about the way they played Zorba The Greek is in the middle they sounded like they were drunk and tijuana taxi the horn at the beginning sounds sick like someone impersation of a horn sound.
bob

Hi, Tony and Bob, and I agree with you both. Actually, at least in quantity, there's more here than meets the ear! I have a 3-LP set of the "Band I Heard" and two 3-LP sets of Crown's flatulent Mexicali Brass (or is it blatulent Mexicali Frass?). I'm also aware that there's another 5-LP Crown set lurking out there somewhere, plus a Christmas Album! You ain't lived till you've heard Crown's imitation of "Whipped Cream." That cream's way past its shelf date...

Appropriately enough for this topic of TJB knock-offs, while Crown's Mexicali Brass may be the worst "Tijuannabees" I've heard, ANOTHER Mexicali Brass may be the best. These anonymous Ameriachis appear on a 5-LP box set from Longines Symphonette. The arrangements are credited to Sid Bass, who arranged Gale Garnett's "We'll Sing In The Sunshine" and the Four Seasons' "Big Girls Don't Cry," among others; and the album carries a puzzling copyright in the name of Tangerine Music Corp., which seems to point to Ray Charles being involved, if only in a business way. Anyone know any more about this?

I've been corresponding on line with a fellow who has made a documentary feature on the cheesy Crown Records operation. It's titled "Music By The Pound: The Crown Records Story." Those without fear may find out more at http://crownrecordsstory.wordpress.com/about-the-crown-records-documentary/

Oops...guess what I found. Unlike the George Garabedian track I posted elsewhere, this wasn't supposed to be awful...(you'll also note they're apparently trying to do without a bass player.) Listen and suffer...

the whipped cream version of the mexicali brass sounds to me like a jazz band playing in a jazz club the trumpet tone are way to brassy, I believe the living brass is a little better.
bob

They lost me at that belching, squawking trombone riff... :dighole:

When you come right down to it, the two groups knock-off record makers have copied most often (and badly) are the TJB and the Chipmunks. (Go figure...) :shrug:

Well, since I brought up the topic... Here's a track by the Longines (not Crown) Mexicali Brass. As Rocket J. Squirrel would say, now here's something we hope you really like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom