Diana Krall gives a nod to the Carpenters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

In her latest album, Wallflower, Diana Krall pays homage to '70s and '80s pop. Included is a cover of "Superstar". A review on NPR's site says "Karen Carpenter's haunting voice in 'Superstar' can't be bested, so Krall honors the original by subtly bringing out its connections to Brazilian samba while remaining within the Southern California framework The Carpenters built in 1971."

In her latest album, Wallflower, Diana Krall pays homage to '70s and '80s pop. Included is a cover of "Superstar". A review on NPR's site says "Karen Carpenter's haunting voice in 'Superstar' can't be bested, so Krall honors the original by subtly bringing out its connections to Brazilian samba while remaining within the Southern California framework The Carpenters built in 1971."
I've got to get this album. Love Diana Krall.

That review also includes the tracks on the album; not just previews, but the entire album is on there to hear. Just scroll down the page.

Personally, I prefer Diana's jazz tunes best; especially the live stuff: phenomenal!

Watched Diana on TV performing live from Rio......captivating......her voice has tones of Kd Lang & Karen Carpenter.

Watched Diana on TV performing live from Rio......captivating......her voice has tones of Kd Lang & Karen Carpenter.
Isn't she great? Coming from the Pacific NW I've been familiar with her talent probably since the start. Nice to see that she's still performing and recording. I really like her "Quiet Nights" album. Very cool. :cool:

Karen's tone and phrasing is incomparable-Diana Krall doesn't even come close. Diana's a great pianist and she's made some great albums-but.as a vocalist,she has a limited range & very little vibrato.

Karen's tone,if anything,is more comparable to Sarah Vaughan and Rosemary Clooney.Diana's tone more closely resembles Astrud Gilberto and Blossom Dearie.

Making a comparison between three standards that both recorded: "From This Moment On","Little Girl Blue" and "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve"-it's easy to see how different Diana's tone is from Karen's.

Incidentally-Diana's "When I Look In Your Eyes" is a fantastic album-probably her best.Check out her Nat King Cole tribute album "All For You",also.

I agree, Mr. J. I love Diana Krall, and she is a good singer, but not a great one. Certainly not in the same league as Karen. Far more remarkable is her talent as a pianist.

Everyone is going to come up short compared with Karen Carpenter. I appreciate Diana Krall for her own talents, like I do others, like Basia. :cool:

I can hear a tone in Diana's voice that grabs my attention in a similar way when I listen to Kd Lang or Karen Carpenter, it only happens at certain notes and during a style of phrasing, it's hard to describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom