Country Singer Lynn Anderson Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

NowhereMan

Funny, but it seems I always wind up here with you
Lynn Anderson, the country singer who covered "Top of the World" and got a #2 country hit out of it, passed away yesterday (July 30, 2015). If you compare Anderson's version with Richard and Karen's single, you can see the similarities, however Richard's arrangement and Karen's vocals totally outdo Lynn's.

Here's Lynn Anderson's version of "Top of the World":

Thank you for recognizing Lynn Anderson. I was a fan even before "Rose Garden". Being a big fan of Carpenters, to hear her cover "Top of The World" back then was a real treat and I had to own it right away.

#2 on the Billboard Country Charts. Not too shabby.

What a talent, what a loss. R.I.P. Lynn.

I appreciate Lynn Anderson for producing (with Glen Sutton and Clive Davis) --
and releasing her single--at a time when covering a pop song on the country charts would have been innovative.
Lynn Anderson hit #2 Country Charts on August 11,1973 (after 10 weeks on chart).

Billboard Magazine (Vol85,No20) lists Carpenters Single Top of The World, on May 19,1973 at #3 in Australia Charts !
(I had to double check I was reading that one correctly.)
Carpenters USA single released on September 17,1973. (Anderson was then at #17 after 15 weeks on charts).

From Billboard July 31st, 2015:
"To modern ears, Anderson stands as a pure country legend, but her music was definitely on the cutting edge of crossover at the time.
"I did a lot of songs that weren't written by Nashville songwriters, like 'Top of the World,' which was written by Richard Carpenter," Anderson reflected.
"I did 'Cry' and 'Under the Boardwalk,' which were old pop hits. My music came from left field.
I was sincere about singing country. I came by the boots and the cowboy hat honestly.
But I can see how my music might have been a little off-center for a traditional country fan.
We did use a lot of strings in those days
."

I remember my dad brought home the album with Rose Garden on it. Was that the album with Top on it?

Wow, how did I forget that! Lol
"Rose Garden" was on the album Rose Garden which I still play today. As a matter of fact I was playing it last Sunday. "Top of the World" is on a greatest hits package I have and I was playing that last Sunday as well. I somehow misplaced the the actual Top of the World l.p. I hope I can get it back.

"Rose Garden" was on the album Rose Garden which I still play today. As a matter of fact I was playing it last Sunday. "Top of the World" is on a greatest hits package I have and I was playing that last Sunday as well. I somehow misplaced the the actual Top of the World l.p. I hope I can get it back.
Whew, I feel a little better now.

I was never a big Lynn Anderson fan, but one of my early "entertainment-related" memories relates to one of her songs. I saw Glen Campbell in a grandstand concert in Billings around 1970 or so -- he covered "Rose Garden" during the concert and did a great performance of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom