Corrs news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
While the family "Corr" is taking a break from recording/touring, etc., to concentrate on family matters, two items of news are worthy of a bit of attention.

• DREAMS / THE ULTIMATE CORRS COLLECTION has just been released in the US. It's been out as an import since last November, but not available as a US product until this week. Rhino has the US distribution rights for this Warner UK product. The album is a second greatest hits type of album for The Corrs featuring mostly previously-released material. It covers some of their earlier hits plus adds in material from BORROWED HEAVEN, LIVE IN DUBLIN, and HOME, and in addition, finally releases a few tracks from the unreleased-in-the-US UNPLUGGED album. Of interest here is a new remix of the BORROWED HEAVEN track called "Goodbye (2006 Remix)" along with a studio mix of the duet between Andrea Corr and Bono (of U2 fame) on "When The Stars Go Blue". Also noteworthy in the inclusion of the old classic song, "All I Have To Do Is Dream", performed by Andrea Corr and French artist Laurent Voulzy. Previously, you had to seek out his disc from France to get that track.
  • While her siblings are busy building families, Andrea Corr is slated to release her solo album this year. The first single ("Shame On You") is due out in May, with the album by June. The title, once known as PRESENT, will actually be TEN FEET HIGH. The cover has begun showing up on the Internet. You can view it here. Word is that Andrea wrote all of the songs on the album except for the old Squeeze song, "Take Me I'm Yours."

Harry

Harry thanks, keep us updated with her solo Cd, I want to order it when it becomes available, it should be good but kinda weird without the corrs with her. Are the corrs over now do you think now that Andrea's gone solo or will they still get back together?

I suspect that the "music bug" will bite the other family members at some point. They are, after all, siblings, - and on good terms!, so I'd guess that at some point in the future, they'll all get together again as "The Corrs" and do an album or more and perhaps tour. At that point, assuming Andrea's album is at least a moderate success, I'd expect that their concert material would include both their "group" stuff as well as some "solo" stuff by Andrea, perhaps performed by all of them, the way Simon & Garfunkel now do some of Paul's solo stuff.

All that is theory on my part.

Harry

Interesting, I wonder who Andrea is working with on this solo album? Any well known producers? I really hope it goes well for her. It's funny cause the Corrs just never really hit it big here in the U.S. In fact if I hear them at all on the radio, it is there hit Breathless which I still do hear every now and then when I'm listening to radio. I remember one of Olivia's interview long long time ago back in the early 70's when her friend Helen Ready told her if you want to make it big in America you have to move there, so Olivia eventually settled in California and the rest is history.

I'll be looking forward to her solo album.

The producer on Andrea's album, TEN FEET HIGH, is Nellee Hooper. My guess is that when the album is first released, it won't be available here in the US, only as an import. Andrea and her management know that success in the States is just not going to happen without a lot of work, touring, and actually BEING here, so my guess is that they just won't attempt it - at least not when it first comes out.

And that sort of makes sense if you think about it. Each of the Corrs is a multi-millionaire based on their success so far, which hasn't included much from the US. So you go with your strength - release the album and promote it across Europe, the far east, and Australia, and hope that there's enough buzz to eventuntually generate a little interest over here in the US. There's at least a little fanbase here to help get things started, and we'll all be ordering the album from overseas when it hits there.

It's seems like they're ignoring us all of the time, and perhaps they are, but it's not out of malevolence - it's just business.

Harry

Yeah I agree, they must be more well known in other parts of the country for them to have made it big thus far. I guess they tried some marketing here in the states for each album but it wasn't anything major so just never took off big here.

Ordering CD's is pretty easy nowadays, imports are not that hard to get from the internet. So I'll be looking for the best price on her solo CD, wonder if it will contain any bonus tracks like this did on the Japan release of Borrowed Heaven.

I actually pre-ordered the Carpenters DVD Live at the BBC from Japan Amazon and got 25 % off thanks to Sakura's information so that saved me some money, although I still don't know if I will be able to play it since it's region 2 but at least I will have an original. :D

One possible solution, if you don't have an all-region DVD player (I don't), is to go out and buy one, or buy one that can be "hacked." Another alternative, if you want to keep things strictly "legal" would be to buy another player and just set it to Region 2 and use it to play all of the Region 2 discs you might want to buy. DVD players are so cheap these days, it's not out of the question to do something like that at all.

Harry

Bringing back an older topic. :D

Harry I just recently discovered this 2006 remix version of "Goodbye" I bought it for 99 cents through iTunes, from the album Dreams: The Ultimate Corrs Collection. I really like this remix alot, clocking in at 3:45 it is slightly shorter than the album verison by about 20 secds or so. I noticed it shorter intro before Andrea starts singing. I burned it to CD for my car.

Now that I have this cool remix I am upset that I can't purchase the other tracks that apparently were made on this single of Goodbye. The extra tracks below are not available to purchase in the US iTunes store and although the single is available in the UK iTunes store it does not contain the extra tracks listed below to purchase. I also can't find this Goodbye single CD on amazon. I hate when this happens. :cry:

Harry, I pulled this from google in searching about the Goodbye remix and found this from a Corrs forum, yeah it's old news but do you have any info on where I can purchase these other tracks below? I mostly really want this demo version sung by Sharon, since this track was written by Sharon about her mother that passes away, Sharon sure puts alot more emotion into the track than does Andrea. I got a sneek peak of hearing Sharon sing part of the song and now I want to buy it but can't find it.

Here is the info and link at the end of my post of the Youtube where I heard Sharon singing a short clip of her version.

Below taken from The Corrs Online Forum:
"Goodbye" single now on iTunes
By Daniel Lindberg - 20th November 2006

The new "Goodbye" download single is now available via iTunes. It contains some goodies, more so that the new album actually.

Tracklist
1. Goodbye (2006 Remix)
2. Goodbye
3. Goodbye (Demo Version)
4. Pebble In the Brook (Instrumental)

The Goodbye demo version is sung by Sharon and Pebble In The Brook is a new instrumental, not released by the band before. Samples are available via iTunes.

Youtube link of Sharon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_cft-wgMFk

Ain't it awful? No-one in the US can download that single. Quite annoying!

Andrea Corr's next single, "Champagne From A Straw" is supposed to be released as a real CD single tomorrow (8/27) in the UK. That track is taken from the TEN FEET HIGH album. I don't yet know if there are any other b-sides to be included or not.

Harry

Harry, what is your opinion on Andrea's solo album? I have not purchased it. From some of what I heard it was different. Have you heard if the public has embraced her solo album? Is she doing a tour on this solo album. I don't see her solo album on iTunes.

Have you heard any news that The Corrs will make another album as a group again?

My mini-review of Andrea Corr's TEN FEET HIGH can be found in this thread:

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8376

There's been no word of any kind of tour so far. She's been doing promo appearances on UK TV - that kind of stuff - and a number of acoustic promo videos of her singing her new songs while accompanying herself on piano. Those are all over youtube - just search for "Andrea Corr." Her album is not on US iTunes for the same reason that the last Corrs EP wasn't. Both the group and Andrea are signed to Warner Music UK, which has little "relationship" with Warner Music in the US these days.

For sure, Corrs fans have largely embraced TEN FEET HIGH, but I don't think it's captivated the public at large. Thus far, I blame that on the choice of the first single, "Shame On You" and its anti-war stance. It's probably too controversial a topic to generate interest in hearing it repeatedly on the radio. The now-current single "Champagne From A Straw" is a much catchier tune, and its send-up of Paris Hilton-style fame and fortune is really good.

As for The Corrs, they're all sitting back, enjoying their "family" break, Sharon's had a second child, Caroline's got three, and Jim now has a son with his separated wife. There's been no formal announcement of any future activity as The Corrs, and some see the sign that yet another compilation is being released (a 3-CD box set called THE WORKS) as an indication that perhaps, at least, their main "career" days as a group are over.

But, they're family, and families can always get together. At some point, the family life will settle down, and someone will come up with a fabulous song or two, a studio will be booked and a new record will emerge. It could take years, but it HAS to happen, just by the nature of things. For now though, The Corrs as a musical entity are done.

Harry

Still can't help but think of the similarities of The Corrs and Carpenters. Yes 2 very different group yet both brother and sister creating their own sound, and yet again with Andrea Corr and Karen Carpenter, again 2 different singers but Andrea was from a brother sister group and now she made a solo album, Karen was from a brother sister group and Karen made a solo album. How weird is that?

Andrea's solo album was just a start I'm sure for her, just as was Karen's. I think Karen only needed more time before her solo career would have taken off if not into different areas.

It now appears that reports were wrong about Andrea Corr's "Champagne From A Straw" being a physical single. Allegedly, it was due out today, but none of the online stores have anything. It's available on iTunes, but then it was available anyway as a track from TEN FEET HIGH.

By the way, in case I hadn't mentioned it, the Japanese version of TEN FEET HIGH has a bonus track unavailable anywhere else. I got it through CD Japan, but HMV Japan also had it.

Harry

Harry said:
By the way, in case I hadn't mentioned it, the Japanese version of TEN FEET HIGH has a bonus track unavailable anywhere else. I got it through CD Japan, but HMV Japan also had it.
Harry

I got Borrowed Heaven w/bonus Miracle from CDJapan, I may think about doing the same w/ her solo CD. I wonder if it's an instrumental or vocal track, like miracle? Thanks for the heads up.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Harry said:
Harry

I got Borrowed Heaven w/bonus Miracle from CDJapan, I may think about doing the same w/ her solo CD. I wonder if it's an instrumental or vocal track, like miracle? Thanks for the heads up.

The bonus track is called "Amazing"; it's a really nice acoustic track with Andrea singing and playing piano.

Harry

Tonight after I got home from work while eating dinner I had the TV on when all of a sudden a commercial came on and it was The Corrs singing "At Your Side" I immediately looked at the tv hoping to see The Corrs but it was a commercial for AARP. :laugh:

I thought that was funny, now I can't get the song out of my head tonight. :D

While out in Las Vegas over the holiday weekend, we heard The Corrs' "Hopelessly Addicted" on the music system in a restaurant. We'd never heard that one in public before!

Harry

Hey, are you two the only ones in this forum??!! LOL!!

I discovered the Corrs in another Carpenters forum and have never looked back. I only wish I had taken the girl's advice sooner! I adore the Corrs. And I adore Andrea.

I was lucky enough to see her perform a live short set in Barcelona last Sunday and she was fantastic. She had Anto and Keith with her, along with a surprise special guest - Caroline!! The audience went wild for her. Went wild for both of them.

We also got to see the sound check and on her way in she stopped, talked, took pictures and signed for us. She even remembered my name this time. :D

I love Ten Feet High, but it is VERY different from a Corrs album. A lot of Corrs fans DON'T like it. It's just too different for them. I believe that if they gave it a real chance, they'd "hear" it eventually. Some albums just have to grow on you. I found that the songs really came alive when she did them live. You had to hear the audience singing along on Shame On You. It was great! I liked them better with Keith, rather than just with Anto, like she did in several acoustic sets. It added a depth, energy and wow factor to the songs.

Anyway... I've got to remember to come back here - for some reason, I always forget about this forum. My bad. :D

There are a few other Corrs fans, but they've been quiet here.

I read your reports from Spain over on the Corrs Club Norma. Good stuff. I'm glad you had a good time.

It's such a shame that more Americans haven't caught on yet to The Corrs. I hope it's not too late now...

Harry

Harry said:
There are a few other Corrs fans, but they've been quiet here.
I must have missed this thread earlier. Anyway, I couldn't find Andrea's CD anywhere locally, and not wanting to wait to hear it, I downloaded it from iTunes. My feelings about the album are mixed. Some of the songs are really not my kind of music I suppose, a little too loud and fast. I'm thankful that I found the lyrics on a fan site (boo to iTunes for not providing a printable booklet). Without the lyrics, I couldn't understand half of what Andrea was singing, which is odd because I didn't have the same problem with the Corrs albums. I was disappointed at the lack of the Irish sound, and I especially miss the tin whistle. I heard acoustic versions of a few of the songs on YouTube, and I enjoyed these much more than the album versions. I only listened the the album a handful of times, and I decided not to order the physical CD. I sure hope that the Corrs reunite as a group sometime in the future!

Norma hit the nail on the head stating that the Andrea Corr album takes a number of listens to improve its standing in one's eyes (ears?). And one problem I've had with it has been the somewhat "mushy" rendering of the lyrics. In some cases Andrea just isn't clearly enunciating the words - and if that's a stylistic choice, then so be it. But there are also times when the heavy production on the album just buries her singing, most noticeable on the title track and "Take Me I'm Yours."

Still, I've played the album a number of times and really like quite a few of the tracks. The odd rhythms of "Anybody There" are fascinating to me; the Latin-tinged "Champagne Through A Straw" appeals to the Herb Alpert fan in me; the charming, if simplistic "I Do" makes me smile; and the flirty "Hello Boys" is a strange choice of the album lead-off, but an effective one.

Oh, and the lyrics in the booklet are so small that you probably did the right thing in finding them on the Web!

Harry

For some reason I can never remember to come to this site.... :oops:

I just got back yesterday from Madrid where I attended Andrea's first and so far only full gig. In September she did a short gig as part of a festival of sorts with not only Anto, as she had been doing with the small acoustic sets she had done, but with Keith as well. Having him on bass REALLY added to it and she was in full form.

However, Monday night was a full show of her own and not only did she have Keith and Anto, but Jason on drums as well. In all it lasted about 1 1/4 hours. I'm copying my review from thecorrsclub message board below, as I'm too beat to type it all over again! LOL!

I started this last night after I got home, but wound up feeling really sick (including a barf session at 4 in the morning - which I'm sure you all wanted to know! LOL!), so I'm finishing it now.

I've been back home a little while now, but when I got home I started feeling queasy and needed to lie down for a while. My stomach is still acting up bit, so I won't post a long review...

There was a funny moment when Dave and Mark went to pick up their tickets. The woman who arranged for Dave's ticket said "oh we have a special surprise for everyone tonight!" And Dave blurts out "Caroline?" You had to see the woman's face! LOL! She was like... ummm... maybe.... Little did she know we were in Barcelona and already had that surprise, which wasn't a surprise, since the Spanish fans already knew and we had found out.

Anyway.... there were a decent amount of us waiting for sound check and when Andrea finally arrived, about an hour after the boys, the crowd kind of swarmed her. People are talking to her and asking her questions and then I hear "Where's Norma?" She actually asked for me! LOL! "I'm back here! Got shoved back by the crowd, as usual!" I couldn't believe it! Gave her my gifts and she went inside.

The sound check was interesting. Very interesting. The theater isn't called the Teatro de Haagen Daz for nothing - there's an actual ice cream shop in the lobby. That was a good excuse to go in there, as we could hear the sound check going on from there. Of course we attempted to get admitted to it, but that was NOT happening. They were mean about going in and out of the theater part too - practically squeezing in and out with opening the door as little as possible. Thanks.

It was also the LONGEST sound check I've ever been too. Usually it's about an hour or so. This one went on forever!! Something like four hours!! Every time we thought it was over, we'd go back outside to say see you later, and they'd start another song. We all heard some "new" songs, but couldn't make out what any of them were. In fact I finally gave up and had to go get changed and all and went back to my room. I had no idea when I booked, but the hotel was right next door to the theater. I could hear music through my walls, but when I headed back out into the hallway, I could REALLY hear it. I felt sorry for the folks who stay in the rooms at that end of the hall. Can you imagine hearing music blast when you're trying to sleep? OY! Not when Andrea's playing of course! LOL!

The show itself was terrific. The Andrea we all know and love was in full force. While I thought having Keith in Barcelona added a depth to the show, having Jason as well REALLY added to it. Amazing what a full rich sound three guys can produce.

We were all anxious to hear what the new songs were and I personally was not disappointed. Amazing sounded even better than it does on the Japanese cd. Mr Bojangles has always been a favorite of mine and I remember when I was a kid the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's version always made me cry. You know, the part where "his dog up and died. after 20 years he still grieves..." :'-( I've never heard the Nina Simone version, so I can't compare. Then there was Blackbird. Quite lovely. Anto's guitar work never ceases to amaze me. Not just on that one, but on ALL the songs. He's just brilliant. I loved how she explained the lyric to Brid Og Ni Mhaille. Even though I had read it when the album first came out, I'm sure there were plenty in the audience who hadn't and it really made it all the more poignant. I do wish they could have found a way to do Champagne Through a Straw.I love that song and would have loved hearing a somewhat different version of the arrangement. Caroline coming out was fantastic, of course. The audience gave her a nice standing O and as usual, she was a bit embarrassed by it. I was kind of surprised that she ended the show with kind of a slow song, but I should have known better - she of course came back for a rousing encore with Shame On You. The audience finally got on it's feet about half way through, clapping and singing along.

I could have sat there for another couple of hours, that's for sure. If only the actual show was as long as the sound check! LOL!

Ok, well that's my take on it - great show, great to see Andrea, now I just hope there's more! I got to say goodbye to Caroline Henry who said Andrea really appreciates our support. Even got a kiss from her! LOL! We told her we hope there's more of these and she said "we'll see!" She really should do more intimate shows like this. The venue was beautiful and perfect. It reminded me of a smaller Kodak theater, what with the balconies and boxes on the sides. It would have been nice if it was sold out, but unfortunately between the rather high ticket prices (with the currency conversion my 62 euro seat cost me almost 100 dollars! yikes!!!) and the fact that it was on a Monday during school exam times, it kept a fair amount of people away. Hell or high water wasn't keeping ME away though! LOL!

Ok, I'm really gonna shut up now and send this.

Per CorrsClub board:

Exchange on Twitter between BBC Radio 2 and Sharon:-

We're loving going through all of the hits from The Corrs. Who would like to see the gang back together? @Sharon_Corr you should do it!
0 replies . 17 retweets 36 favourites

Sharon CorrVerified account ‏@Sharon_Corr

@BBCRadio2 I'll se what I can do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom