Colin Carpenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someday

RC's very handsome son!
10676346_1543825445852920_7243475863777217717_n.jpg

Handsome indeed......let's hope we see and hear more from this young Carpenter.

Double of his dad! Doubt he'd be best pleased to see his photos here though, aren't these his passport application photos? :laugh:

Last edited:
I don't think people do a change of shirt while they're posing for passport photos. :) They do look like high school pictures though - which would be weird enough. (Although they're probably posted on a photo company website somewhere.)

These were posted on the 'Close to the Carpenters' Facebook page. They look a little like promo shots for Spotlight ... I wonder if he is going into the theatre? ...

Imagine knowing your AUNT shaped music history. Thing is he never met her and aside from those who have he only has voice and pics for referral like everyone else. Except, I just remembered, he has the ultimate benefit of Dad. Wouldn't it be cool (supposing there was an interest) to immerse oneself in EVERYTHANG? I'd be on Dada like a fly on...hmmm....Dada. He'd end up sending me to boarding school in order to fully enjoy this retirement jazz.

Jeff

Maybe there's a future Christina Crawford tell-all ruminatin'. If I were Sonny it would be my duty, a quest to secure the truths in front of and behind the driving forces of an icon. Easy now y'all certain someones, I'm just semi-joshin'. Don't spank thee for encouraging rebellion, mutiny and discord. Just sayin'...so don't bust a gut!

Jeff

Well, someone has to take over as custodian of the Carpenters' legacy once Richard is gone. I wonder if one of his children is being groomed to run the business someday. As protective as Richard is, I would think he would want to keep it in the family.

What would he be, about 20? Anyone know - I think one of the sisters is older. Her certainly is the image of his dad, but bottom right, with the half-smile, looks like Karen :)

Well, someone has to take over as custodian of the Carpenters' legacy once Richard is gone. I wonder if one of his children is being groomed to run the business someday. As protective as Richard is, I would think he would want to keep it in the family.
Universal(UMG) owns the entire Carpenters A&M catalog-and they are the custodians of Karen's legacy,not Richard.

There is no "business" to run on Richard's part-that was over many years ago(the fan club,concerts/touring,etc).

Richard owns the master tapes for the early RC Trio,Magic Lamp and RCA recordings-as well as the unreleased Carpenters material. There's a definite possibility that,when the time does come,his children will inherit control of those recordings.

i have a few pics of rich and his kids,but out of respect ive not posted them (nor will I}
btw very handsom fellow mr colin is.

Universal(UMG) owns the entire Carpenters A&M catalog-and they are the custodians of Karen's legacy,not Richard.

There is no "business" to run on Richard's part-that was over many years ago(the fan club,concerts/touring,etc).

Richard owns the master tapes for the early RC Trio,Magic Lamp and RCA recordings-as well as the unreleased Carpenters material. There's a definite possibility that,when the time does come,his children will inherit control of those recordings.
Universal owns A&M but Richard holds ownership of the music. Richard has complete control over the music. That's why he's so involved in the remixing promotion etc. It's also why you don't see the C's on random "Best of the 70's" music compilations. It's why we don't see duets of Karen with others, like Streisand's new album.

Universal owns A&M but Richard holds ownership of the music. Richard has complete control over the music. That's why he's so involved in the remixing promotion etc. It's also why you don't see the C's on random "Best of the 70's" music compilations. It's why we don't see duets of Karen with others, like Streisand's new album.

Exactly! Thank you, arthowson. That is what I was referring to by "business." I'm not implying it's a full-time job by any means, but he has decision-making authority on any licensing issues related to Carpenters' music and likeness. Anyone that wants to use a Carpenters master recording on a CD or in a movie or a commercial, the request has to come through Richard. With a few exceptions, anytime someone wants to use footage of them in a DVD release (like "The Perry Como Christmas Special'), Richard has to authorize it. Every new (non-bootleg) compilation that gets issued, needs Richard's blessing. If someone wanted to put them on a coffee mug or a t-shirt, Richard would have to approve it.

There is also ongoing legal stuff he has to consider like copyright infringement suits and other litigation when the above isn't handled properly. While most of the work would be handled by Richard's legal team, he would still be somewhat involved if suing someone for using a song or image without permission or even just sending a "cease and desist" letter. Just making sure that all the various ongoing contractual terms he has with various companies are being met requires a level of oversight, especially when dealing with things such as royalties.

And don't forget Richard's publishing rights as a songwriter. Depending on what it's being used for, Richard has certain rights as the songwriter on the use of any version of "Top of the World" (or any other song he wrote) whether it's the Carpenters' recording or not. He can't stop anyone from recording it (as long as they pay him the statutory mechanical rate), but he can deny synchronization rights or request a huge fee that would be cost prohibitive for other uses.

Just as arthowson pointed out, the reason that you rarely see Carpenters on "Best of ____" CDs is not because people don't ask. It's because Richard doesn't authorize it. He probably gets hundreds of requests a year from all over to world to use Carpenters music or likeness for various projects, large and small. They probably take him 10 seconds to say "no" to, but they are still business decisions he has to make on a regular basis. This authority will pass on to his estate once he's gone and that is what my pondering was referring to. Although a few of his decisions to turn things down have been odd (like the recent Bacharach box set), I actually admire how selective Richard is on these matters.

Universal owns the entire Carpenters A&M catalog.That ownership was transferred from Polygram in 1999-and Polygram's ownership was acquired from A&M in 1989.When Richard delivered an album(or track) to A&M/Universal and they release it,it became A&M/Universal's property.

A contractual clause in K&R's 1976 A&M contract gave K&R artistic control over every release-including compilations.That same clause also prevented A&M from releasing any recordings without Richard's permission.That stipulation has continued through today-and has given Richard absolute control over issuing unreleased material,selecting tracks for compilations and remixing.

The reason why Carpenters tracks aren't licensed out for multi-artist compilations is because Richard wants to keep Carpenters recordings on Carpenters albums.And,that 1976 contractual clause gives Richard control over this aspect,also.

As far as I'm aware,Universal owns the recordings of every original A&M artist-except Herb Alpert & Lani Hall.Herb & Lani acquired ownership of their A&M catalog in a lawsuit settlement with Universal.Herb then made a licensing deal with a small indie label(Shout Factory) to distribute his Tijuana Brass albums(and "Rise"/"Fandango").

Universal owns the entire Carpenters A&M catalog.That ownership was transferred from Polygram in 1999-and Polygram's ownership was acquired from A&M in 1989.When Richard delivered an album(or track) to A&M/Universal and they release it,it became A&M/Universal's property.

A contractual clause in K&R's 1976 A&M contract gave K&R artistic control over every release-including compilations.That same clause also prevented A&M from releasing any recordings without Richard's permission.That stipulation has continued through today-and has given Richard absolute control over issuing unreleased material,selecting tracks for compilations and remixing.

It's always seemed like a very sensible and straightforward arrangement to me for someone as protective as Richard. If it's unreleased, it's his property; once it's released commercially, it becomes the property of the record label (be that A&M, Polygram, Universal or whoever). That's why Richard remains in complete control of the vaults. The unreleased tracks belong to him until/unless he sanctions them for release to the general public. And I don't think we're going to see many more of those.

The reason why Carpenters tracks aren't licensed out for multi-artist compilations is because Richard wants to keep Carpenters recordings on Carpenters albums.And,that 1976 contractual clause gives Richard control over this aspect,also.

As far as I'm aware,Universal owns the recordings of every original A&M artist-except Herb Alpert & Lani Hall.Herb & Lani acquired ownership of their A&M catalog in a lawsuit settlement with Universal.Herb then made a licensing deal with a small indie label(Shout Factory) to distribute his Tijuana Brass albums(and "Rise"/"Fandango").
i guess i never really took time to analyze it. When someone has the right to say yes, put it out… or hell no!. Or gets to choose album art.. track list, remix ability or not, etc, it sounds like ownership to me. When RC says jump, polygram says "how high?" Sounds like a living trust or something. not really concerned. let's not talk about it anymore.

I see a TON of potential here in this young man, yet I can imagine Dad forewarning his beloved son that Show Biz is not the thing it used to be; or that's simply not something to make a first career choice:

Colin: "C'mon, Dad, what about those good old days?! You and Aunt Karen had so much FUN! The Gold Records, The Touring, The Fortune and Fame! I can handle being a Household Word & people all over me for a picture and/or autograph! Now when do I get to meet--um, (What's his name?) --Albert?!

Richard: It's ALPERT! HERB Alpert... And Colin, I think those days are long gone... The music biz is not as golden as it used to be... In fact, there is NO Music Biz to go into--and Herb Alpert retired, and A&M's been long-gone, with him...

Colin: Awwww, shucks, Dad! You & Aunt Kar' had it made! What is there left in this day & age to get into?

Richard: Hmmmmm... Maybe, CARPENTRY...

-- Dave :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom