Carpenters unreleased videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

WYBIMLA

With help from youtube and my own DVD collection I tried to come up with a list of songs that feature the Carpenters on film singing (lipsyncing) their songs, but has NOT been released.

I’m not thinking of live performances (those are unofficial anyway). Imho, some songs make for a better live experience anyway (ex, Sometimes, Guder, Jumbalaya). I’m talking about the promo videos and TV appearances.

I won’t mention the song title if there is no known video to exist in the first place.
It’s true snippets exist from the specials of various songs, but I mean full fledged video from beginning to end.

Please, correct me if I am wrong with any of this, and provide info if you know why they weren't put out.

These are, to my knowledge, songs that have a known associated video, but not a release.

Offering:

You’re wonderful parade
Don’t be afraid
All I can do

Close to you:

Love is surrender
Maybe it’s you
Baby it’s you
I kept on loving you

Carpenters “Tan album”:

Saturday
Let me be the one
For all we know
Druscilla Penny
One love
Bacharach/David Medley

A song for you:

A song for you
Goodbye to love (I’m not sure if there was some type of video made for this I just can’t recall it right now… psychedelic something it was nicknamed)
Piano Picker

A kind of hush:

Goofus
**I need to be in love (I’m not clear if this had a release on DVD or not)

Passage:
Sweet, sweet smile
Man smart, Woman smarter

After much of the success from “Close to you” I noticed even through making this thread they shied away from the camera. There’s a period there where quite a bit of their songs were featured with some visual or another, but they did it very carefully, sparingly moving forward.

What songs would you have liked to see released? And which songs would have you liked to seen with a video?

My wish collection (hoping all the ironing of the rights issues would be smoothed out of course):

1) All I can do
2) Maybe it’s you (with remixed audio)
3) Baby it’s you (restored with treasures remix)
4) For all we know
5) One love (By request remix)
6) A song for you
7) Goofus
8) Sweet, sweet smile

I think something like that would have promise and make for a rather nice little collection in addition to “Gold” and “Interpretations”. In my world anyway. Lol Maybe with a few other songs added. It’s simple… add an into and outro and that’s about it for a DVD release. I don’t think it would take that much time to produce. Also, include that wonderful medley “Good day sunshine, etc”. There you have it. It would sell like hot cakes. :D

I thought about “Back in my life again”...there is that Merv Griffin footage, but that can be really tough to look at.

I imagine, I think it’s very possible to animate (traditional or CGI) music videos for Carpenters in a highly attractive way. I’ve always thought that and would love to see some of their songs brought to new heights.

I think songs like “Happy” (I can imagine it with lots of colour), “You” and “Boat to sail” would be interesting to see Karen depicted singing these.
“B’Wana”, “Two Sides”, “When you got what it takes”.
“Now” (But I supposes in the bio pic that’s as close to a video of sorts)
“Honolulu city lights” would be fantastic for a video with a lot of that… city lights!

I guess you just got to pay some designers/animators to go through with a project like that.
I think it would be great, and it could be uploaded on the Carpenters Vevo youtube channel.
What a nice surprise. Maybe that’s a way to commemorate their 50th. “New” videos.
I’d like it. I’m sure not all fans would, but there’s not really many others ways to go about it.
Or simply let it be and be happy with what we got.

Just some thoughts for you guys. Have a great day!

*edit* I just realized I missed all the Xmas stuff. Lol oops. Still there wasn't much in the way of a release for videos of that, but certainly there is known footage of such a thing.

Last edited:
Thanks! Great resource. I should have dug a bit more. I knew it had to have been somewhere. Silly me because I heard about the commentary.
Maybe it should have had a wider release? I don't see why not. It's not as bad as Rich makes it seem. :sigh:
I've known there was a video for INTBIL because of forums and youtube quite frankly.
Certainly there's no indication of that from my collection. I couldn't justify spending the kind of money I've seen the 40th collection priced at now. :yikes:

There was also a video for "We've only just begun" I hadn't seen before from 1970 featured on the show "8-track flashback".
Just when you think you'd seen it all...

As the Christmas season is a few months away, I would like to take a moment to once again ask if the Christmas specials will finally be released to DVD.

As the Christmas season is a few months away, I would like to take a moment to once again ask if the Christmas specials will finally be released to DVD.

I think the answer to that from Richard's camp would be a definite "no" - at least not in their full, original format.

I thought recently how "we have a lot as is".

I could start a whole thread on it, but I decided not too.
There's many ways you can think about this "issue", and dwell on what we don't have.
I just want to be happy with what there is and move on.

I'm starting to see things more from what would be Rich's view.
With the way the business is now and all the work he did during the 80s-90s...
I can understand "all done" to a point.

I find I can have a hard enough time keeping track of some of their more obscure things (pics, remixes, compilations, videos, specials etc.)
I had "Your Baby..." come on shuffle the other day and I thought how unlikely it was that something like that even got to be "finished".

I mean, some artists don't get to have as many records as Carpenters did.
Some artists don't even get to go on Television and sing their music or have their songs on radio.

Really, as a fan I try to re-frame it so I know that already we have a lot.
Your casual listener doesn't even get to know half of what your super fan does.
Thank goodness that youtube can be a resource for pretty well all things Carpenters.
I'm glad I have access to the TV specials/live shows, and then some.

What a missed opportunity with the PBS special a few months away. There is enough quality material from the two holiday specials to make a great DVD. I have never understood why RC is against releasing the Christmas footage. If you eliminate the corny skits with Harvey & the McNichols, th

I had "Your Baby..." come on shuffle the other day and I thought how unlikely it was that something like that even got to be "finished".

I have to be honest...if "Your Baby" or a song like "Two Lives" had been included as the previously unreleased track on Interpretations, I wouldn't have been anywhere near as excited as I was to hear "Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again". Many of the MIA outtakes were ok at best but that song, along with "Ordinary Fool", is a priceless gem.

"Trying to get the feeling again" was accidental wasn't it. It was re-discovered or something?
I never thought of it that way. I guess there probably isn't anything left that may be up to that standard.

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder, I suppose. I love 'Your Baby' and 'Two Lives' from VOTH. In fact, those are my two favorites. :wink:

I have been a firm Richard Carpenter supporter from day one. I appreciate everything that man has done. I even become offended when I read things on this forum that attempt to degrade him. The man is musical genius.

That said, there is one thing he and I don't see eye to eye on. Releasing the Christmas Specials to DVD in their entirety. Watching and listening to the Carpenters at Christmas is an annual event. Every year I watch the terrible quality copies recorded from TV nearly 40 years ago. I watch disfigured images on the screen, listen to poor quality audio, and I shake my head wondering why Richard would do this to his fans. There is simply no excuse for continuing to allow these inferior quality versions of the specials to be the only outlet for fans. For a man who strives for perfection, he really let the fans down this time by allowing imperfection to be the final presentation.

For a man who strives for perfection, he really let the fans down this time by allowing imperfection to be the final presentation.

The problem is that he sees the television specials themselves as far from perfect, so his view is why release them at all? I don't think he views them as adding anything positive at all to their legacy. I know some fans love them but Richard really loathes them. If we're ever to get anything, it will probably be a compilation of the songs only, minus the skits, talking segments and anything featuring a guest vocalist that would create problems or legal hoops to jump through when it comes to royalties.

Last edited:
Releasing music and DVDs are for the fans to watch. They are not for Richard's entertainment. Of course some things looked dated by today's standards. If all artists took Richard's approach, I wonder how many Beatles recordings wouldn't be released because McCartney didn't like something. Paul even allowed the film Magical Mystery Tour to be released to DVD and we all know what an embarrassment that was to the Beatles.

It's not like Richard can hide these specials. They are available to those who want to see them. But instead of Karen looking like a deformed monster while singing "Merry Christmas Darling" due to bad quality recordings, the public could see just how beautiful Karen was when she performed this song if that special was available on DVD.

As I mentioned, I love Richard as an artist. But to be frank, he is selfish and uncaring towards fans who have supported him from day one by not releasing these specials. If I ever met Richard, I would tell that straight to his face right after telling him how much I appreciate his music.

Your opinion, of course. But I personally wouldn't let it bother me the way it seems to bother you. And your example of The Beatles on DVD isn't the best you could have chosen. Beatles fans still, to this day, have not gotten LET IT BE on DVD, nor a collection of the official promo videos. Most, if they want to see LET IT BE, rely on VHS copies from a rare ancient LaserDisc, just the way you watch CARPENTERS AT CHRISTMAS.

There's also the matter of ownership. I believe that ABC-TV (now Disney) is the owner of the video of those programs, and rights would have to be negotiated with guest stars, musical conductors, directors, etc., for a DVD release to the public. It's all very complicated - but I agree that if there were a desire to do it, it could be done. And we all know Richard's feelings on the subject - he's been forthright with his opinion.

Harry

Elucidation of this issue is greatly appreciated, Harry.
I might add, according to the Liner Notes..."Karen and I co-owned the ABC Specials." (Richard Carpenter, As Time Goes By).
Also, The end credits which state Downey-Bronx; this is Karen and Richard's Production Company.

I think we all would love to own all the videos on DVD, but I for one am grateful for the videos we can own and doubly grateful for You Tube. I just hope Universal doesn't decide to block what is out there now on You Tube.

By the way, I do own the laser disc of the Beatles Let It Be and I am thrilled I do.

It's true that the music is bigger than the artist, and it means a great deal to people...

I want to give Richard a break at this point. What lies in the future is a mystery to us all...so we don't know what he may have already planned for their 50th. I don't think he keeps anything for his own entertainment.
From what I understand he only really listens to his work once in a blue moon or when he's had to do compilation albums.
A lot of this stuff he may not have sitting around the house it's away in storage somewhere.

The TV specials, as far as I've heard it been repeated many times about the difficulty getting rights to use all that stuff, and Richard wasn't wild about it all to begin with either. It's a bit of a surprise we even have some DVDs we do have considering how ill Karen ends up looking in some of the footage as well. Why some of that made it over other footage that I know exists I'll never figure out now, but I don't want to complain. It's always a weird thing how certain things get a release over others.

I have been a firm Richard Carpenter supporter from day one. I appreciate everything that man has done. I even become offended when I read things on this forum that attempt to degrade him. The man is musical genius.

That said, there is one thing he and I don't see eye to eye on. Releasing the Christmas Specials to DVD in their entirety. Watching and listening to the Carpenters at Christmas is an annual event. Every year I watch the terrible quality copies recorded from TV nearly 40 years ago. I watch disfigured images on the screen, listen to poor quality audio, and I shake my head wondering why Richard would do this to his fans. There is simply no excuse for continuing to allow these inferior quality versions of the specials to be the only outlet for fans. For a man who strives for perfection, he really let the fans down this time by allowing imperfection to be the final presentation.

^^^^^ WORD! ^^^^^

There are about a dozen performances that can be culled from the Christmas specials for a high quality DVD release. And, with some Richard "magic" could be woven together for a really classy release!

There are about a dozen performances that can be culled from the Christmas specials for a high quality DVD release. And, with some Richard "magic" could be woven together for a really classy release!

I get the idea but a DVD of a dozen clips of Karen singing Christmas songs (and nothing unreleased as there was on Interpretations)? I can't see there being a big market for that, especially when most people already have the Christmas Portrait album and could just put that on for a spin.

I get the idea but a DVD of a dozen clips of Karen singing Christmas songs (and nothing unreleased as there was on Interpretations)? I can't see there being a big market for that, especially when most people already have the Christmas Portrait album and could just put that on for a spin.

I see the point; however it would also hold true for the DVD's Yesterday Once More and Interpretations, too, would it not? But we have those.

"Your opinion, of course. But I personally wouldn't let it bother me the way it seems to bother you. And your example of The Beatles on DVD isn't the best you could have chosen. Beatles fans still, to this day, have not gotten LET IT BE on DVD, nor a collection of the official promo videos. Most, if they want to see LET IT BE, rely on VHS copies from a rare ancient LaserDisc, just the way you watch CARPENTERS AT CHRISTMAS.
There's also the matter of ownership. I believe that ABC-TV (now Disney) is the owner of the video of those programs, and rights would have to be negotiated with guest stars, musical conductors, directors, etc., for a DVD release to the public. It's all very complicated - but I agree that if there were a desire to do it, it could be done. And we all know Richard's feelings on the subject - he's been forthright with his opinion."

The only reason the Beatles wouldn't be a good example is because it is 4 times harder to get anything released because there were 4 members of the Beatles unlike the Carpenters, which is only one person driving the decisions. At least Let It Be WAS released. I have it. Most of the Beatles promo videos were on Anthology. Carpenters specials have NEVER been released. As someone pointed out, Richard owns those specials so the red tape is much less. Label mates The Captain & Tennille were in a similar situation with their TV show and specials, yet they released a glorious box set a number of years ago of their TV show and all of their TV specials. Making excuses for Richard in these situations is simply justifying and enabling bad behavior. An earlier comment about how people can simply listen to the Christmas Portrait album instead of buying a Christmas DVD compilation tells me some of us are not in the same universe when it comes to understanding the importance and passion of seeing Karen & Richard instead of simply listening to them.

Last edited:
Making excuses for Richard in these situations is simply justifying and enabling bad behavior.

At the end of the day, it's up to Richard what he does with the material. As he himself was once told about the Close To You Cover..."learn to live with it" :)

An earlier comment about how people can simply listen to the Christmas Portrait album instead of buying a Christmas DVD compilation tells me some of us are not in the same universe when it comes to understanding the importance and passion of seeing Karen & Richard instead of simply listening to them.

You misunderstood. I was referring to the general masses, not us die-hard fans. What we'd buy doesn't necessarily equate to what the general public would buy. It's all about commercial appeal - if the record company doesn't think there's a market for it, it probably won't ever see a release.

The problem is that he sees the television specials themselves as far from perfect, so his view is why release them at all? I don't think he views them as adding anything positive at all to their legacy. I know some fans love them but Richard really loathes them. If we're ever to get anything, it will probably be a compilation of the songs only, minus the skits, talking segments and anything featuring a guest vocalist that would create problems or legal hoops to jump through when it comes to royalties.
As I recall, Richard really loathed Karen's solo record, however he had a change of heart because he believed it deserved to be heard.
So, who knows, maybe someday this way of thinking will transfer to all the television specials, and we'll get a release. We mustn't give up hope.

As someone pointed out, Richard owns those specials so the red tape is much less.

As someone pointed out,
I might add, according to the Liner Notes..."Karen and I co-owned the ABC Specials." (Richard Carpenter, As Time Goes By).

Read that "co-". That means that the duo SHARED ownership with ABC-TV for the TV specials. (Different deal entirely with NBC for MAKE YOUR OWN KIND OF MUSIC.) Rights issues are indeed complicated when it comes to performance rights on television. None of the many participants of those: guest stars, musicians, directors, etc,. have been legally paid for these performances to appear on DVD. Their rights were negotiated originally for one, perhaps two runs on ABC-TV. That's it. Rights negotiations for music compositions and performances is what holds up MANY DVD and Blu-ray releases. And I'm not saying that negotiating music rights is the ONLY hold-up.

Making excuses for Richard in these situations is simply justifying and enabling bad behavior.

Rights issues are one of several hurdles, not the least of which is Richard's own opinion of those television appearances. That's not making an excuse. It's the MAIN reason why your dream DVD isn't available. Richard HATES these old TV performances. Find a way to change his opinions somehow and you might solve much of the problem.

...some of us are not in the same universe when it comes to understanding the importance and passion of seeing Karen & Richard instead of simply listening to them.

You're new here, and your passion is valid. Many of us have been around these parts for decades, and we've learned what the realities are, so telling US we're not in your universe isn't a way of endearing yourself. Many of us care deeply, but know the logistics of the situation.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom