1. Thank you for visiting the A&M Corner Forum. To enjoy all of the features of our forum (and remove this message), please register for complete access. In order to register, please use the following VIP code in our registration form, and enter only the digits requested: A84X 52CC 6DJ8 RR44 . To prevent spam, our staff manually activates all new accounts; you will receive an email notice when your account is activated. Thanks again!
  2. Just launched: The Complete Carpenters Recording Resource! Click here to read about A&M Corner's newest web site!

Carpenters Quadraphonic

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by CarpentersToYou, Apr 4, 2005.

1. The MotownBoy does astonishing work -- whether it's the Carpenters or others, not to be missed on youtube.
  2. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Amazing. The quad version opens everything up much more, especially those fabulous backing vocals! I remember Richard was on a UK TV show called 'This Morning' and after they showed this clips he said this track was the one that contained the most vocal overdubs of any track they recorded.
  3. motownboy

motownboy Member

I have posted "Sing" from the Japanese Quad CD-4 LP of "Singles 1969-73." I improvised a video that is part Carpenters and part Muppets and friends singing "Sing." A full video of Karen & Richard performing "Sing" in English doesn't seem to be out there.. I hope you enjoy! Where else will you find R.E.M., the Muppets, and the Carpenters "together?" :)

David

A&M Retro likes this.
  4. A&M Retro

A&M Retro Well-Known Member

Absolutely awesome, Motown Boy. Thanks again for the great work. So cool to see so many famous people performing "Sing"!
  5. motownboy

motownboy Member

Thank you so much for the kinds words, Bob!
  6. motownboy

motownboy Member

I've just posted the quad mix of "Superstar" set to three performance clips...Listening to this song again in the process of making the video made me re-appreciate what a classic vocal performance Karen gave us. I hope you enjoy it..

7. RainyDays

RainyDays Inactive

Damn, that's amazing! I have loved your quad mixes for months now and this is another great treat you have given us.

I love it...I really do!
  8. RainyDays

RainyDays Inactive

This might be a stupid question but how exactly does this whole 'quad' thingy work? I have some idea, but did Richard release quad albums in America? And, MotownBoy how did you do your special remix to it?
  9. CloseToYou10

CloseToYou10 New Member

Another stunning video! Superstar is amazing! Thanks motownboy! :D
  10. motownboy

motownboy Member

Hey RD,

I am glad to answer your question.

Quadraphonic was a format to provide four channels of sound...a 1970s version of today's surround sound. Basically four speakers were placed in the four corners of your listening area. New mixes had to be done for this format. In the case of vinyl, the four channels had to be mixed down to two channels with special encoding so that it could be cut into vinyl as a stereo signal and then played back with a special phono cartridge through a decoder that would separate the signal back to four channels.

In the case of the Carpenters' quad releases, Richard was not involved and was reportedly not happy with the results. There were quad releases in the US and some other countries I have a couple of US and Japanese pressings. Basically, I record the music from my turntable to my computer through the sound card. I then judiciously use audio restoration software to remove pops, ticks and turntable rumble and some EQ touch up. These are not remixes from a studio multi-track tape (though I have done some remixes like that of some classics by other artists) , but I take the music and remaster it - making it more presentable in sound quality.

To do the videos, I look for the best clips I can find and create something with them and synchronize the remastered audio.

David :)
  11. RainyDays

RainyDays Inactive

Simply amazing! That's a fascinating process and you always pull through it perfectly! I discovered your work back last November, I believe, when I first discovered the Carpenters' music. You made it even richer in quality.

Now, I just have one favor....please please please do RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS!
  12. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett New Member

I love seeing new "motownboy" videos in my YouTube feed. Beautiful work. :)
  13. motownboy

motownboy Member

Hey RD......Rainy Days is coming soon! Thank you for the nice comments.
  14. motownboy

motownboy Member

GG - Thank you...for your support and kind comments...
  15. I don't know if this applies to the quads the Carpenters did, but one thing with the Streisand quads, esp Stoney End, Barbara Joan S, and Butterfly, is that very often there are entirely different vocal tracks by Streisand (versus the mainstream, nonquad release).
  16. pufnstuf1969

pufnstuf1969 New Member

17. pufnstuf1969

pufnstuf1969 New Member

Can someone post quad version of heather from now and then
  18. pufnstuf1969

pufnstuf1969 New Member

Can someone upload heather and intro to singles 1969 quad mix thanks
  19. Rick

Rick Member

I am very sad to see that Motownboy's youtube channel has been terminated. His was one of my favorites. I checked in regularly.
  20. Someday

Someday Active Member

Would love to get one of these. Any ideas, anyone, on sourcing Quad albums? UK?