CARPENTER/BETTIS: ALBUM CUTS

WHICH CARPENTER/BETTIS ALBUM CUT IS YOUR FAVORITE?

• 1.) Invocation 1:00 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.) Your Wonderful Parade 2:57 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 3.) Someday 5:13 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • 4.) Turn Away 3:09 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 5.) What’s The Use 2:43 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 6.) All I Can Do 1:42 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • 7.) Eve 2:51 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • 8.) Benediction :40 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 9.) Maybe It's You 3:09 (Carpenter/Bettis/Wilde)

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 10.) Crescent Noon 4:09 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 11.) Mr. Guder 3:17 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 12.) Another Song 4:22 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • 13.) Saturday 1:20 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 14.) Druscilla Penny 2:18 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 15.) One Love 3:23 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • 16.) Crystal Lullaby 3:58 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • 17.) Aurora 1:33 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 18.) (I'm Caught Between) Goodbye And I Love You 4:04 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • 19.) Eventide 1:32 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 20.) Sandy 3:38 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 21.) I Have You 3:25 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 22.) Because We Are In Love (The Wedding Song) 5:00 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 23.) You're Enough 3:46 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 24.) At The End Of A Song 3:42 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• 25.) Look To Your Dreams 4:28 (Carpenter/Bettis)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
Richard and John 2.jpg
Let's try this again, shall we? Since I inadvertently left a few songs off the Carpenter/Bettis album cuts poll I'd initially created, here is the new thread. All of the votes have been reset and we are starting over. Sorry folks!

"Another Song", pure Carpenters vocals, great drumming, and it was just so weird sounding back in 1970, and a great song to close the album, definitely has a bit of an edge to it.

Last edited:
Richard and John 2.jpg
Let's try this again, shall we? Since I inadvertently left a few songs off the Carpenter/Bettis album cuts poll I'd initially created, here is the new thread. All of the votes have been reset and we are starting over. Sorry folks!

Thanks for putting this together, should be very interesting.

In the first version of the poll I chose 'Crystal Lullaby', but immediately regretted it when I spotted 'Another Song', so this thread gives me a chance to put that right. 'Another Song' is an amazing album track - it's so odd compared to the rest of their catalogue, but interestingly still classic Carpenters with the signature vocal sound. What separates it from the rest of the Carpenters canon is its gloomy, foreboding atmosphere, 'church-like' choir harmonies and odd rhythm all rolled into one track. The last swirling notes of the woodwinds and drums make it a great album closer. The remix including Joe's recut bassline is great!

Tough choice, but I ultimately landed on “Maybe It’s You,” because, while not a single, it so beautifully encapsulated what would become the template for most of the duo’s best-known hits. Plus, it’s just a lovely song and beautifully performed and arranged. NOTE: I strongly considered “Another Song,” but opted for “Maybe It’s You,” because “Another Song” was such an anomaly for the duo. Can you think of another song in their known catalogue that’s like it? I can’t (which may be reason enough to vote it “best,” I guess, but I think “best” suggests, among other things, representative). Also, “Another Song" lost points for keeping KC in her upper register (“The money’s in the basement,” folks). :b-peat:

I, for one, am so happy to have another bite at this big apple because I have had a really tough time narrowing it down to one song. My mind goes back and forth like a long doubles tennis point at Wimbledon. For me, I ended up omitting several also-rans for a variety of reasons: too depressing (in lyric and mood), too countrified, not enough of a formulaic ballad.

In the end, I am choosing "Someday." It's a simply beautiful ballad!

I'm sticking with "Someday" as well. After the missing songs were revealed, I thought I might switch to "Crescent Noon" as I really like that one too, but ultimately I stuck with the wonderful, memorable, can't-get-it-out-of-my-head" "Someday".

Harry

"Maybe It's You"- loved it at first listen. As much as "Look to Your Dreams" is a sentimental favorite on a very emotionally charged album, MIY is a wonderful piece of art full of promise for the future career.

I'm sticking with "Someday" as well. After the missing songs were revealed, I thought I might switch to "Crescent Noon" as I really like that one too, but ultimately I stuck with the wonderful, memorable, can't-get-it-out-of-my-head" "Someday".

Now the question for you Harry is, which version? Offering vs. Music, Music, Music...

I'm partial to the early version - plus it's the longest song on the list!

I do enjoy the MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC version and would have really liked a full-blown remake in that style, but the original grabbed me all those years ago and I'm still partial to it.

Harry

Harry
I, for one, am so happy to have another bite at this big apple because I have had a really tough time narrowing it down to one song. My mind goes back and forth like a long doubles tennis point at Wimbledon. For me, I ended up omitting several also-rans for a variety of reasons: too depressing (in lyric and mood), too countrified, not enough of a formulaic ballad.

In the end, I am choosing "Someday." It's a simply beautiful ballad!

On a semi-related note, I’ve had a recurring fantasy that the duo might have re-recorded the Offering/Ticket To Ride album in 1979 for the 10th year anniversary, giving the tunes an updated spin (a disco reading of “Wonderful Parade,” perhaps?), which would have given KC the chance to redo the vocals on “Someday," something she reportedly had wanted to do. “Someday” would have been the obvious single choice.

Voting on this one is torture also: quite a few good ones to choose from!

Which song sticks in my head awhile after I've listened to it? "Crystal Lullaby." Among all the other tracks on the album, this one seemingly comes out of left field. Unusual enough to capture my attention, and that nudges it ahead of most of the others listed here.

So many runners-up too. "Aurora" was an unusual way to open an album (or bookend it, as it were, with "Eventide")--haunting in a way. "Caught Between Goodbye and I Love You" could have made for yet another single from its album with a little more polishing, a good classic pop song IMHO. The earlier tracks aren't my favorites, but something like "All I Can Do" is again unusual enough (in 5/4 time, no less) that it commands attention.

If I was allowed a second vote, it would be "Crescent Noon"...... Karen is able to reach some incredibly deep notes.....and her vocal capabilities are still in the embryonic stage.....amazing.......and a great piece of song writing.

Yes, Rudy, torture is the apt description for this exercise!
Great songs, difficult to choose only one !
Never the less, I stick to my gut instinct: (I'm Caught Between) Goodbye And I Love You
The vocals, in particular, blow me away every time I listen to it (I Listen to Horizon once a month, at least--Yeah, crazy.)
When Karen lands on the lyric "Sea", coupled with the steel guitar on the arrangement and piano intro/ finish,
3:58 (LP Pressing Timing) of pure vocal bliss.

I love the way Karen marries her marching drummer background with the jazz feel demanded by the 5/4 time signature. Every drum note of hers is micro-timed to perfection, and her rolls sound very fluid. It's easy to imagine somebody else (such as Stan Levi with his stronger wrists) pulling this off....BUT....I believe it would sound clinical by comparison. Karen gives it just the right touch, and as always, her playing is in the service of the music.

In addition, Karen's cool, clear vocal delivery, together with an outstanding bass part, lend the song an urgency and make it my favourite Carpenter / Bettis album cut.

Pity we never got to hear many more works like this. My other favourite is Mr.Guder - not from the album, but from the live performance they gave on one of their tonight show appearances.

SO difficult!
One love for me. Always loved it from first listen. Romantic, heartfelt, long phrases with no breaths ( awesome ).

Have you listened to the remix of "One Love" ? The original recording was distorted in places, the remix fixed this problem. The same thing was done for "Rainy Days & Mondays". Anyone else notice that, or is it my imagination?

Just had a listen to it again on carpenters perform Carpenter.
It is a lot smoother and polished. However, the vocals are less to the fore in the mix and it is just a bit too 'smooth' for me. I prefer the original. It has a rawness to it, energy, 'real'. I know that sounds weird! I can't quite explain it.
I guess I'm just so used to the originals and so many of the remixes just don't give me that same 'experience'. I like the warts and all of the originals. It is more 'true' to me. Gutsy, with soul.....
Re Rainy days and mondays - yes, there was definitely distortion on the original, especially towards the end as Karen belts out. For me, the best version is on singles 1969-1973. That sorts out the distortion, without reverbed vocals and too much bass on the remix. However of course, it segues into goodbye to love, so you can't really use it as a stand alone track.

I'm a fan of the remix without the distortion, "Someday" was in need of remixing because of the same problem.

I've also gone for 'All I Can Do'. The jazz arrangement and timing is really impressive. The background vocals, whilst clearly owing a lot to the song's origins from Karen and Richard's time in Spectrum, are quite unlike anything else they ever recorded. It's urgent, it's catchy and it's all over in less than two minutes.

I also love 'Aurora' and 'Eventide' - both stunning arrangements and performances - but they feel too incomplete to be chosen as the best out of all of these.

Looking at the list to choose from, it makes you realise how extensive the 'Spectrum' songbook was on the early albums, encompassing everything up to 'One Love' and possibly 'Crystal Lullaby' as well. When I first listened to stuff like 'Mr Guder', 'Crescent Noon' and 'Another Song', I wasn't that impressed by them - they didn't sound like 'Carpenters' to me - but as the years have passed, they've really gone up in my estimation as they have a bit of edge and were quite quirky tracks.

There are only a few duds in this early period, like 'Turn Away' and 'Druscilla Penny'. I also find 'Eve' and 'Someday' a bit overblown, although I realise that they were finding their feet in terms of arranging material of this nature, which they'd then refine on later albums.

The list also highlights that Richard and John weren't writing that much post-1974 and a lot of it ('Sandy', 'I Have You', 'Goodbye and I Love You', 'You're Enough', 'At the End of a Song') is pleasant but insubstantial. However, 'Look to Your Dreams' is a real jewel of a track. Such a stunning reading from Karen and one of the few tracks where the sumptuous production aids rather than detracts from the overall effect. As a 'sign-off' song on the 'goodbye' album Voice of the Heart, it's pretty much perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom