Carol Burnett Show 1967-1972

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also Carpenters sang Superstar. I don't think Carol sang Hurting Each Other...I think K and R just sang that one! And then the skit where Karen is Miss Millie Metre!

Here's the rundown on Carpenters appearance on Carol Burnett:

Superstar
Bacharach/David Medley (with Carol)
'Radio' production number cast

Hurting Each Other
Paul Williams Medley (with Carol)

I just watched the Carol Burnett videos with Karen and Richard. Karen singing "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" and playing drums suspended from forus "waiters" is truly special.

Will The Carpenters be included? A lot of the Burnett shows we've seen released are either edited down or left in the vaults due to music performance rights/clearance issues. I know Richard has charged a pretty penny at times for their stuff to be used so I hope this makes the cut....

More details have been released on this. Turns out it will only be a "best of" the first five seasons, not the entire seasons as originally implied. Fingers crossed that at least one of the episodes with Richard & Karen will be included. There is no mention yet as to how many episodes will be in the set. The Ultimate Collection set which covered seasons six through eleven had 50 episodes, so my guess is this would be somewhere in that range.

More info here:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Carol-Burnett-The-Lost-Episodes/21091
https://timelife.com/pages/the-caro...&utm_source=linkshare&utm_campaign=Y81GAFFXXX

I just received an e-mail today from Star Vista with an update on this set. It will contain 45 episodes on 22 DVDs. Unfortunately, none of the Carpenters' appearances are listed in the contents which is disappointing. (However, there are several episodes featuring Cass Elliot so that is exciting. She is another of my all-time favorite female vocalists.)

I just received an e-mail today from Star Vista with an update on this set. It will contain 45 episodes on 22 DVDs. Unfortunately, none of the Carpenters' appearances are listed in the contents which is disappointing. (However, there are several episodes featuring Cass Elliot so that is exciting. She is another of my all-time favorite female vocalists.)

It may be just me but it does cross my mind that an attempt to include Carpenters' episodes may have been blocked by the Carpenter estate's strict editorial control? It does seem strange, given they were such a hot act in the early seventies, that none of their appearances have been included.

I think the fans have basically accepted that we won't get too much on DVD from the Carpenters prior TV segments or specials at least I have...I mean how many more years can we wish and hope? My years have run out.

As I understand it, the early Burnett shows were tied up for years in a legal wrangle between Carol and the estate of the late Bob Banner, who co-produced the series during those years. (He also did the Garry Moore Show, where Carol's TV career began; Candid Camera, co-producing with Allen Funt; and Solid Gold.) It will be great to see whatever comes out of this; those were the funniest years of her show. Later on, "Eunice" and her family pretty much gobbled up the whole show, and while they demonstrated the acting ability of Carol and her cast, I never considered them very funny.

It shouldn't be impossible to resolve the music rights; various companies have been able to release good packages of the Sonny & Cher and Tony Orlando & Dawn shows, though with some odd gaps like not being able to clear "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" as TO & D's theme music.

So...,here's a thing I don't get: greed. Publishers ask for huge amounts of money for music to be included on DVD releases. They don't negotiate apparently. Then the DVDs don't include the music or there is no DVD. So the publisher gets no money... Wouldn't they rather get something rather than nothing?

Just wondering. Publishing is a murky world, and I suspect it is more so nowadays.

To add to the confusion, different rights exist in different countries. There is a Doctor Who episode that included a performance from the Beatles. The US version cuts the Beatles out, but theUK version includes the performance snippet. For example.

There is a Doctor Who episode that included a performance from the Beatles. The US version cuts the Beatles out, but theUK version includes the performance snippet.

The final episode of THE PRISONER features The Beatles' "All You Need Is Love". Reportedly, the Fab Four liked the show and gave Patrick McGoohan permission to use it, and it's been in every home video iteration that I know of. But the funny thing is that as the camera pans by a bunch of jukeboxes, the images show US album covers!

Music rights are very complex, both in song use and performance use. That's why sometimes you'll see a movie and hear someone else attempting to mimic a popular record. JAWS is an example, where "I Honestly Love You" by Olivia Newton-John was in the theatrical version, but has been replaced in most home video versions.

Harry

I always wondered why there was a fake Olivia thanks for pointing that out Harry

The TV show Quantum Leap is another obvious example: Ray Charles' "Georgia on My Mind" is a key element in the episode MIA, but it is completely removed in N. American releases due to the costs of music rights, but it is in the UK release. Wow! The music is a star here! How do you remove it? Anyway.

Sorry, I digress.

Some TV series have been a nightmare to clear on music rights, simply due to the sheer number of songs involved. WKRP in Cincinnati was a classic case, China Beach was another. The recent "Wrecking Crew" movie took years to clear the music; I understand two of the most difficult people to convince were Sonny Bono's widow and David Seville's (the Chipmunks) son.

Until recently there was a guy on You Tube who was posting clips of records and TV theme songs with complete breakdowns on exactly who was playing on each session. Everything from who was Sinatra's drummer to who played trombone on a Hanna-Barbera cartoon theme. Just a great source of info. But the copyright shysters shut him down and erased his site as completely as if it never existed. (Maybe he could write a book?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom