CALLING OCCUPANTS OF INTERPLANETARY CRAFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallPaulInKy

The original single version of this (as I understand it) did not have the DJ on it. I once had the promo copy (I was a DJ at the time) that had both versions. But as far as I can tell all the resissues have the album version with the DJ. Is there a CD release without the DJ?
Thanks!

All CD releases are the long version with the DJ.

The only place that a shorter version exists is on the video version featured on INTERPRETATIONS, but it too has the DJ opening.

The 45 remains the only place to access the short version without the DJ.

Harry

On the Readers Digest collection
the Dj intro's are not part of the
Oldies medley. I like both versions
but I wonder if Richard has any plans to release Occupants on a
future compiltion.....I know,

I really love the ochestration on
Calling Occupants, it is so regal
and the finale with the decending
vocal harmonies only adds to the
effect. Because vocal harmonies
are the Carpenters signature sound
it makes me wonder why Richard does
not always include them on some of
the releases found on compilations
or is it just on the DVD?

JIM

TallPaul said:
I finally found a commerical 45 on ebay with the original b side.

...which would be "Can't Smile Without You", with the revised first verse?

Harry

So many interesrting things you
learn! Harry, if you are up for
it can you dscribe the alternate
ending or is on a compilation or
something.

JIM

Harry wrote:
...which would be "Can't Smile Without You", with the revised first verse?

I guess so, I don't have a good enough memory or ears to catch anything other than the obvious. Calling Occupants is a very pretty serious ballad which was ruined for continous replay by the addition of the DJ making it kinda camp. It's funny the first few times but after a while it gets old. The hit single did not have the DJ and is a very pretty song. I read a quote by Richard Carpenter that said he "heard this song on Canadian Group "Klaatus" debut album and couldn't resist recording it. (lyrics such as these don't come along every day!)" He further went on to say the performance, "must be fairly convincing for following its release we received numerous letters wanting to know when in fact "World's Contact Day" was scheduled!." Obviously it was a labor of love for him, and the public responded. Occupants has a 1977 copyright on the single and is credited from the Passage album. The B side "Can't Smile Without You" is credited as from the "Kind Of A Hush" album.

So what was the lyric revision on "Can't Smile Without You" and is the single the only place it appears?

The version of "Cant Smile" from the "Occupants" single appears on the British CD "Singles 1974-78"...

I have maxed out my Carpenter Charge. Is the difference on Can't
smile worth an extension at a higher interest rate?

I shouldn't go for Gooofus......

Jim

Regarding the single version of "Can't Smile Without You"....
The single version is a totally different lead vocal....Karen add libs in the intro with her ah ah....and the lyrics in the first verse are diffferent. "I can't laugh and I can't sleep, I don't even talk to people I meet". Some different instrumentations can be heard throughout the track and there is a alto sax solo in the middle. More of a "pop" version than the original LP version.

I hope you like it, Jim! Don't let your charge card get too maxed out! "The Singles - 1974-1978" shows up occasionally on Ebay, (in fact, it's listed on Ebay now) and other CD venues for a fair price, usually around $10. Good Luck and Happy Listening!

My two cents--I absolutely loved this when it was released, thought it was a stroke of brilliance.
But, I do know many folks dislike the song.
Only #32 US (14 wks on chart,I believe), but I know it got decent airplay in central Florida.

Apparently the British know great music:
UK Singles Chart Run
charted on 10/08/1977 at #49
Last Chart Position 12/03/1977 at #17
Weeks in chart: 9
Highest Position: 9
in Ireland

I remember Richard saying, regarding World Contact Day, that there never was one. . .perhaps someday in the future.

Actually there was (quoted from Wikipedia)

World Contact Day was first declared on March 1953 by an organization called the International Flying Saucer Bureau, as a day on which all IFSB members would attempt to send a telepathic message into space.

The message which IFSB members focused on during 1953 was:-

"Calling occupants of interplanetary craft! Calling occupants of interplanetary craft that have been observing our planet EARTH. We of IFSB wish to make contact with you. We are your friends, and would like you to make an appearance here on EARTH. Your presence before us will be welcomed with the utmost friendship. We will do all in our power to promote mutual understanding between your people and the people of EARTH. Please come in peace and help us in our EARTHLY problems. Give us some sign that you have received our message. Be responsible for creating a miracle here on our planet to wake up the ignorant ones to reality. Let us hear from you. We are your friends."

I had no idea Klaatu lifted so much from this 1953 message. "We are your friends" indeed. . . and frankly if anything was going to make me want to visit a new planet, it would be having Karen's voice drifting out from its orbit.

Interview with Klaatu:
Mary: How did The Carpenters come to record your song.

JOHN: As we found out later, their guitar player 'discovered' our first album during that 'Beatle Rumour Thingy' and brought it to their attention.

TERRY: Wasn't there something Richard Carpenter said about… "the 3 Bs… The Beatles, Beach Boys and Burt Bacharach instead of Bach, Beethoven and Brahms…" or something to that effect.

JOHN: I seem to recall something like that. Anyway, they were much taken with our endeavor and decided to record "Calling Occupants" with a full orchestra and choir… much to our delight. Actually, Terry and I were both fans of The Carpenters long before this. Karen's beautiful voice and those lush arrangements and those chromatic chord progressions…

TERRY: (singing) "Rainy Days and Mondays always get me-e dowwwwn…"

JOHN: Hey!!!! Enough already, I'm talkin' here! (they dissolve into fits of laughter)

Mary: OK, OK… So, it's safe to say you like their approach, their cover of your song…

TERRY: Actually, we see it, or should I say, we hear it… as the ultimate compliment. This song is unlike anything that The Carpenters had attempted previously and they nailed it. I think their version is more accessible than ours… more mainstream…

Mary: Your thoughts, John?

JOHN: Yeah, Terry's right. It was… and is… extremely gratifying to hear one of our compositions rendered so beautifully by a group that is so respected and revered.

Played the USA 45 Single of Occupants today, it's still wonderful to listen to on vinyl.
My only concern was the very short fade-out of the song--it just ended too abruptly for me,
especially after getting used to the extended mix after all these years.
The flip side , Cant't Smile, was a treat after all these years. Again I am used to the LP cut of this song.
But, I do love these songs on vinyl.

The only way to get the single version of Calling Occupants, no dj, is on the Japanese Singles collection. The original version of calling is actually about 6 seconds longer. It has somebody searching for songs on an FM tuner and you hear Frank Sinatra sing We've Only Just Begun right before tuned to All Hit Radio......dj. That version was never released or bootlegged I think. Only on an acetate (pre test press) version of Passage.

Richard mentioned it in his recent interview with Chris May...he's proud of the production and IMO he has every right to be. I'm very fond of both versions, but I gravitate to the album cut with "Tony the DJ"... Karen is both lyrical and precise in her down-to-earth but otherworldly lead vocal. The harmonies are spot-on.

It's among the most underrated of the Carpenters' musical efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom