Boat to Sail - song - Lyrics

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreddieB

Hi Fellow Carpenters Freaks and Geeks,

I am trying to learn a few more Carpenters songs for open folk nights and I thought of 'Boat to Sail', but I find the song meaning/lyrics hard to grasp. Anyone know what 'super mild' is? I thought it was maybe a reference to pot, but I don't know. Some of the lyrics are quite bold lol.... another naughty Carpenters song. How are letters mailed from a sailing boat????? Whoa Karen.... she has the sexiest voice EVER!!!

Wish I was Brian Wilson!!!!!

Freddie

There are no freaks or geeks on this forum(that I'm aware of)-only Carpenterphiles,KC buffs and music lovers with great taste. We want to "keep it cool" here.

Back to the topic at hand-"Boat To Sail" is a smooth,jazzy track with some fine vocals-but the lyrics are basically just a bunch of thoughts & ideas that were melded together into a song.Nothing "naughty" about this track-but definitely the most "avante-garde" selection on AKOH.

I thought a stand-out choice for single. A vibe, contemporary, grown up. No comps seem to have it. I'd like a remix for remix sake.

I apologize for the Carpenters freaks and geeks greeting. It is just that I have been called that by other so-called more 'down with it' musicians and it is a badge I wear with pride. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone here. I have been teased about liking Richard and Karen for 45 of my 50 years on this planet, but I don't mind as I have always embraced being devoted to both of them as my 'go to music'. They are the only two celebs I actually like as real human beings. I like Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne and The Eagles, but I wouldn't be bothered to walk across the street to meet them or get an autograph.

I like the conversational qualities of the lyric and it seems to me that they took a song that could have been very dullard and made it into a masterpiece. Maybe some of it is just 70's jargon/lingo lost in time. Don't matter...pretty song...

Freddie

Freddie, no apologies. Tis all too fitting for me. There was a particular Portland DJ circa CALLING. OCCUPANTS stationed on am1190 KEX who casually, regularly and somewhat affectionately referred to me as ' the CarpenterS freak' on air. Natch that every P-TOWN radio station had me dutifully badgering the playlist demanding sufficient CarpenterS rotation. This DJ at KEX would comment ' the CarpenterS freak
has single handedly pushed CALLING. OCCUPANTS to the top of our daily top 10 countdown. My initial 15 moments of fame occurred as said DJ recorded my obsess -a-vote for playback. Honestly I had notoriety as the proud n enthusiastic. The brief interview began with ' had a chance to speak with the CarpenterS freak '. Ssid he something like what where n WHY? I promptly declared my allegiance to and inclusion in the INTERNATIONAL FC. To my giddy delight DJ man asked if FC was current and I offered the Downey FC address. ..complete with zip code no less n no more. Well folks , said my indulgent new best broadcasting friend, again at #1 CALLING OCCUPANTS. Incidentally, before SWEET SWEET SMILE was officially released I gave DJ man heads up at the imminent release wherein I stayed true to form and it began charting our local countdown prematurely. My sole purpose was reinforced by determination to keep ABBA's NAME O THE GAME and Lighfoot's competing EDMUND FITZGERALD at safe distance. Needless to say I had the Pacific NW well nurtured with all the FREAK my 14 y/o self could muster. I'd freak on em all over again given an open vault or 2.

Stay tuned,

Jeff

Last edited:
OK, I just listened to the song. Karen sounds fantastic and the track is fun, but as a songwriter, IMHO this lyric is...horrible.

"We are riding on a boat to sail" is a ridiculous phrase. What does that actually mean....it's as if someone who didn't speak English was trying to say "we're on a sailboat" but got it wrong (and yes, it's hard to mail letters when you're on a boat!).

Done rambling - got that off my chest. Thanks for indulging me. Happy Monday everyone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom