BEST OF BEST+ ORIGINAL MASTER KARAOKE+ 22 HITS

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Carp_Best Of Best.jpg
BEST OF BEST+ ORIGINAL MASTER KARAOKE has been found and added to our Carpenters Complete Recording Resource.

I recently found something I'd been trying to acquire for ages - the original double-CD release of BEST OF BEST+ ORIGINAL MASTER KARAOKE from Japan. This 1992 set had eluded me for years, but I was able to find the subsequent karaoke releases without difficulty, and that had been taken care of in the database. But for the sake of completeness, I wanted the dual-disc set to verify the mixes used.

Check out the added listings in the Carpenters Complete Recording Resource.

Harry

Harry,

That's a great find. I had no idea the original karaoke release was part of a companion two disc set.

In 2005, the "Twenty-Two Hits of the Carpenters" was re-released with the karaoke versions disc. I actually ordered it directly from HMV Japan. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the karaoke disc had a 16th track... "Sing." The karaoke disc is one of my most treasured of Carpenters items.

Yeah, I knew of this one's existence, but had never run across a copy for sale - only the single disc shows up every now and then. This one must have been pretty limited.

Harry

Harry, I almost p**ped myself when I (literally) Stumbled on this collection in 1993 in Ann Arbor, MI. To hear the arrangements without KC gave me a whole new reason for my admiration and damn near stalker love for RC. Just listen to I Need To Be In Love...go ahead...I triple dog dare you. It's AMAZING!! RC thinks (verifies) that I'm crazy for saying it, but that arrangement, that score...it's genius. I honestly still cry when I m given the chance to appreciate it.

I, too, appreciate the original master karaoke mixes.
I listen to this when I need to relax.
Again, it's a treasure to listen to, and accentuates all of the hard work which is expended in
creating these pop music masterpieces.
Richard's arranging skills are pure genius.

I was late in obtaining my Yesterday Once More Original Master Karaoke CD catalog POCM-1521 (this one) and once I finally heard the entire CD....I wondered why did I wait so long to hear these incredible tracks. Karen has been stripped away of her lead vocals and we just get to hear how incredible these songs really are underneath Karen's vocal perfection. It really gives the listener a chance to hear what the songs were like without a lead vocal and the arrangements and instrumentation just allow you to fully enjoy how these songs have stood the test of time. I was lying in bed reading several weeks ago and I just wanted something on in the background on my bluetooth speaker and I remembered this CD (I had not played it in awhile) and I fell in love all over again. When you get to hear these with so many of the background vocals intact...hearing Karen and Richard come in on just the backing vocals literally gives me goosebumps hearing it this way.

So...ever since I found out that there was another Karaoke track that I did not have on this CD...it has always been in the back of my mind that I had to get it. That track is the Karaoke version of "Sing". I knew it only appeared on a rare 2003 CD Single of Top of the World and later in 2005 was issued on a 2 CD set called 22 Hits of the Carpenters. Since I already had the 1995 CD "22 Hits of the Carpenters" I really didn't want to spend the extra money to get that all over again just for the extra Karaoke disc...so basically I ended up doing nothing.

So after the recent interview from Richard and knew I still needed that track...I finally found (at a very reasonable cost) the CD Single of Top of the World with the "Sing Karaoke" track to complete my collection of the official Karaoke tracks released from Richard. The liner notes show that it was mixed in 2003. Here are a few pics of this single CD.

Harry, I you want to cross reference this on the resource site under the "songs alphabetically" for Sing to show this Karaoke track is also found on this CD single feel free to use the photo or any info need here.

TopOfTheWorldSingleCD.jpg~original

TOTWSingleNotes.jpg~original

TOTWCDSingleandOBI.jpg~original

When I learned of the karaoke disc I balked in spite of Richard Carpenter's involvement. When I sprung for this must-have I was dazed and delighted. The background harmonies are so well-defined and the structures amazing as never before. Taken aback, I don't think I've ever taken lead vocal here for fear of blemishing the ensuing studies and listening pleasure. How much fun fun fun. When spinning the disc I call for absolute silence. Not a pin-drop to overwhelm my experience at this ever increasing refreshment. Generally known for 45 short years...don't get in the way of my giddy!

Jeff

I listened to the Master Karaoke just this morning.
So melodious- it really is a testament to Richard's arranging skills ,
and thankfully he gave us this Offering.
The ooohs and aaahs, Karen and Richard--pure beauty.

I recently acquired this terrific compilation (Original Masters Karaoke), and I can't be more pleased. As a karaoke enthusiast, it is great to (finally) have the original recordings of these timeless classics, including the original backing vocals. Over many years, I have accumulated karaoke versions of many Carpenters' songs. But all pale in comparison to these originals. I highly recommend this CD!

Thanks for the heads-up on this, Chris (An Ordinary Fool)!

For other karaoke enthusiasts at this site, I wanted to point out that Amazon.com is a terrific place to buy karaoke downloads. Of course, it's just the music---no lyrics on screen. I have karaoke versions of many Carpenters' album cuts (in addition to the hits). I just recently acquired a karaoke version of "And When He Smiles." Can you believe that? An album cut that was released many years after Karen's passing?

Other recent finds that have made me ecstatic include "I Can't Make Music," Crescent Noon," and "Road Ode." Granted, these are not the original Carpenters' versions, as in Best of Best, but they are darn good! Still on my wish list for many years: "I Can Dream Can't I," "One Love," and "Two Sides."

The karaoke version of 'This Masquerade' has always impressed me. The moody background vocals, Karen's drumming and Richard's piano make for an amazing listening experience. You can really hear their jazz chops loud and clear on that record.

As noted earlier, I do have a computer file of the Karaoke Mixes.
However, luckily, I secured a copy of the (1992) 2 disc collection, and upon receiving it today,
gave it a 'spin'. Pure beauty.
The cd sounds better than my computer file (is that possible?--or, is it just psychological?).
"Goodbye To Love" is absolutely brilliant. It has always been a favorite, but listening to the
Karaoke mix brings home the awesome production and arrangement of this song.
To those (few?) who believe the song unworthy of a Carpenters' track, Richard Carpenter has
outdone himself with the uniqueness of this song. As far as ear candy goes, this one is sumptuous.
Others of which I have a renewed sense of appreciation are:
"Hurting Each Other" and "Bless The Beasts and Children" (Come on Academy , this should have won an Oscar!).
Thrilled to finally have this double-set, a must-have!

As noted above, I had the single disc with just the Karaoke mixes for years, then just last year finally got the original 2-disc set. I also have the one with the extra track of "Sing" that came with the tenth anniversary issue of 22 HITS OF THE CARPENTERS.

It's quite possible that your CD will sound better than "computer files" depending on where they came from, who ripped them, in which software ripping program, and at what bitrate. It's actually a shame that people rip and copy music and spread it around, since the ultimate end-user may end up with something they *think* sounds OK, but is actually quite far removed from the excellence of the original tracks.

That's why I've always sought out CDs of whatever I want, only settling for an mp3 or WMA if that's the only way I can find it. Usually that only involves a single track or two, not whole albums. If I can find an LP or a 45, those too will do - at least I know that I'm doing the best I can with recording and ripping the song - plus I have the *fun* of doing any clean-up necessary.

Harry

I'm dying to get a copy of either 22 Hits... or the Best of Best Karaoke. Found 30+ sellers on Amazon. Does anyone have ideas/tips for ordering from 3rd party (meaning not sold by Amazon). Obviously, the rating from previous buyers is a great clue, but wondered if anything else I should be aware of before placing my order. The one on Amazon

I couldn't resist the opportunity for a question regarding these Karaoke mixes.
"I Need To Be In Love", at least as far as the very last four or five piano bars,
sounds quite different from either the Carpenters Perform Carpenter mix
and the Original Hush Album mix. The reason I noticed the difference is that
I had to turn up the volume quite a bit to hear that ending on the karaoke mix.
The other mixes, those ending piano bars , were much more prominent--no volume adjustment needed.
Well, I read Chris May's details on the resource page, but, I am (still) a bit confused.
(With me, then,what's new in that ?).
Were the Piano parts re-done (Performed,again, by Richard Carpenter)
or, simply mixed to sound differently at the end ?
Same with the "airy-echo" noise heard at the very introduction of the song--in between piano bars--
on some mixes it is prominent, on others it is absent altogether.
Of course, you have to listen very closely.
(Well, I realize that is already being done by all !).

This is a compilation that I love listening to, as I did this morning--the karaoke mixes.
One of my favorites, no doubt.
Truly a feast for the ears.

I request, of course, a master karaoke of "Only Yesterday", certainly that song--with
its overdubs--and stellar arrangement--should be part of this compilation.
Is such unavailable, now, given the destruction from The Fire ?

This is a compilation that I love listening to, as I did this morning--the karaoke mixes.
Truly a feast for the ears.

I request, of course, a master karaoke of "Only Yesterday", certainly that song--with
its overdubs--and stellar arrangement--should be part of this compilation.
Is such unavailable, now, given the destruction from The Fire ?

All the tapes were transferred over to hi-rez digital so it does exist; just not in analog form.

Ed

Truly a feast for the ears...

Dah! You're a cruel, cruel man. Can't wait to get mine. I've been hearing about it for years but could never find one. Gotta love eBay. When you least expect to find something...

Ed

Back
Top Bottom