Best Carpenters video moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of the Calling Occupants Videos are good enough, for their time!
The filming for the TV version was completed by May 1978 (Newsletter#59)
The Promo Video was to be distributed (only) overseas, November 1977 (Newsletter#56).

As far as music promo videos are concerned, Carpenters were definitely savvy about the visual image to promote sales.......even if they didn't always get it right, you can't fault them for trying.

Carpenters were far ahead of their time to embrace music video/promo films to such a degree. Not many artists were creating them in early 1970 (as evidenced by the wintery 'Ticket to Ridc' clip), so they and A&M get big kudos for being on top of the game. The first conceptual music videos I'm aware of that were designed specifically for promotional use (other than Scopitones) were 'Penny Lane' and 'Strawberry Fields Forever'. As usual, the Beatles were the first. What a 45!!!! And what's even more mind boggling is these two classics were left off 'Sgt. Pepper'!

I really loved seeing them on the newly released Como Christmas special. I think the only day Karen looked prettier was her wedding day. At least Karen had her dream wedding, even if it wasn't with her dream guy.

I really loved seeing them on the newly released Como Christmas special. I think the only day Karen looked prettier was her wedding day. At least Karen had her dream wedding, even if it wasn't with her dream guy.

Me too. I also really like there "Thank you Rock n' Roll" bit from 1978. . .just comes across as unrehearsed. . .both obviously having issues at this time, but bonding over the music they listened to 20 years earlier.

Favourite music video. . ."All You Get. . ." They just look like they're having a blast and Karen, though very thin, doesn't look ill.

My favorite video moment would also be 'All You Get From Love Is A Love Song' promo video. Aside from being my favorite single, it's just a perfect video that shows Karen at her coolest, most relaxed and most confident.

My favorite Carpenters TV appearance would be the Boston Pops concert. That show simply can't be beat!

Karen is beautiful, especially on the 1974 Perry Como Christmas Show.
I, still, have not seen the Boston Pops Show in its entirety.

I like the Medley on Music, Music, Music. Hair, make-up, wardrobe, and musical selection. Two thumbs up. and timeless.
There was something very special about Karen's performance throughout "Music Music Music". Karen was very laid back and really enjoying working with Richard on this visual presentation, which was not one their strongest talents. But they pulled it off....it's one of their best works.

As much as I love them, this was still really the epitome of cheese, even in 1980. Contrast this with Karen's sessions with Phil Ramone that lasted virtually up until the same month as they started recording this special. What was Karen thinking? She was such a complex character - wanting to break away from Carpenters a year before and singing about sexually explicit lyrics, and then she comes back with this syrupy special within weeks of finishing her solo album. I really don't get that.

Just some thoughts:
  • My favorite of all their visual presentations.
  • Should have had an album to go with it.
  • Richard's "hand flourish" at 2:43 has always drove me crazy.
  • I remember seeing this portion of the show, and thinking that when Karen starting singing "Make It Easy On Yourself" that she had grown into a beautiful woman- particularly when contrasted with how they presented her in their "Space Encounters" show just a couple years earlier.
  • Not only does she look good, but her vocals are particularly beautiful. Soft, feminine, but with power under control.
  • Richard's arrangement of the medley is one of his finest.

As much as I love them, this was still really the epitome of cheese, even in 1980. Contrast this with Karen's sessions with Phil Ramone that lasted virtually up until the same month as they started recording this special. What was Karen thinking? She was such a complex character - wanting to break away from Carpenters a year before and singing about sexually explicit lyrics, and then she comes back with this syrupy special within weeks of finishing her solo album. I really don't get that.
It's really well done cheese though, and I totally agree about Karen being an enigma. Karen was a complex person, one minute a baseball drum playing tomboy, the next a beautiful women interpreting songs involving deep emotional feelings, and just when you never expected it, Karen was a comic as well.

Think that was part of the attraction to Karen and her wonderful voice, she had a quirky personality to go with it, she was definitely a bit different.

I remember coming UN-GLUED when MMM aired for the first time, and they went into the long version of "Make It Easy On Yourself". I was floored in the very best way.

It's still way up there on my list. The song, the video, the performance....it has everything. And it captured the magic of Carpenters completely. And there's zero cheese coming from that particular part of the special. They looked cool and they were cool. :)

Another poignant video moment is when Karen sings From This Moment On ,
when Carpenters guested on Tonight Show with Steve Martin (1/27/1977).
She sounded great and looked healthy.
Her ease in front of the camera and sense of humor were a pleasure to behold; in
an otherwise awkward setting (e.g.,Tom Smothers:"..maybe you can get your crown back from The Captain and Tenille"..)

Her ease in front of the camera and sense of humor were a pleasure to behold; in
an otherwise awkward setting (e.g.,Tom Smothers:"..maybe you can get your crown back from The Captain and Tenille"..)

Haven't seen this video clip, but will search on YouTube. Really like their performance of this song that was recorded for "Music Music Music", but unfortunately ended up not being included in the TV special.

I thought it was genius where Smothers says mockingly, "We only came on to meet you two". To which Karen comes back "Well we only came on because we knew you'd be here".

Similarly, when Steve Martin alludes to the incest question by saying "You know the question everyone wants to ask, right?" To which Richard responds, "Yeah, why does Steve Martin get to open the Tonight Show". Always cracks me up.

I thought it was genius where Smothers says mockingly, "We only came on to meet you two". To which Karen comes back "Well we only came on because we knew you'd be here".

Similarly, when Steve Martin alludes to the incest question by saying "You know the question everyone wants to ask, right?" To which Richard responds, "Yeah, why does Steve Martin get to open the Tonight Show". Always cracks me up.
I guess they learned to have a sense of humor over the years about all of the ridiculous mocking they received. I thought that show was funny. I know some don't see the humor though.

Considering some of the critical statements made against Richard & Karen, I don't think there is any occasion documented where they lost their temper or behaved aggressively, I don't know how they held their composure sometimes........I love them for that......they were so cool & sophisticated.

Only time I've ever seen Richard lose it was on a Japanese Talk/Variety Show from 1983 where he's promoting Voice of the Heart. I think it was named after the presenter, something like Mr Tekishami or something along those lines.

He entered to the center stage to join the host before a studio audience. The host then asked Richard, in English, a question along the lines of "She had a lovely voice". . .Richard replied that she did. The host then turned to the audience and in Japanese soberly translated Richard's words, before waiting a few seconds, then dropping in a "punchline" to which the audience burst into laughter.

It happened like this 4 times. . .the one that really got Richard pissed was when the host asks "When did Karen Die?", Richard replies, "February 4th of this year" . . . then the host mournfully speaks in Japanese to the audience, waits a few beats, then, still in Japanese, drops in the punchline and the audience go wild. Richard, clearly angry, looks at the audience saying "That's Funny!?!?"

Something may well have been lost in translation as I, and Richard, obviously haven't a clue what the man was saying. He certainly appeared to be translating Richard's remarks then dropping in his own "zingers" at the end, but maybe he wasn't. And obviously different cultures find humour in different things, but it is VERY uncomfortable to watch. . . .don't think it's anywhere on YouTube though. I had it on video 20 years ago and it's long gone.

Only time I've ever seen Richard lose it was on a Japanese Talk/Variety Show from 1983 where he's promoting Voice of the Heart. I think it was named after the presenter, something like Mr Tekishami or something along those lines.

He entered to the center stage to join the host before a studio audience. The host then asked Richard, in English, a question along the lines of "She had a lovely voice". . .Richard replied that she did. The host then turned to the audience and in Japanese soberly translated Richard's words, before waiting a few seconds, then dropping in a "punchline" to which the audience burst into laughter.

It happened like this 4 times. . .the one that really got Richard pissed was when the host asks "When did Karen Die?", Richard replies, "February 4th of this year" . . . then the host mournfully speaks in Japanese to the audience, waits a few beats, then, still in Japanese, drops in the punchline and the audience go wild. Richard, clearly angry, looks at the audience saying "That's Funny!?!?"

Something may well have been lost in translation as I, and Richard, obviously haven't a clue what the man was saying. He certainly appeared to be translating Richard's remarks then dropping in his own "zingers" at the end, but maybe he wasn't. And obviously different cultures find humour in different things, but it is VERY uncomfortable to watch. . . .don't think it's anywhere on YouTube though. I had it on video 20 years ago and it's long gone.

I remember that clip! And, you're right. It's very uncomfortable....and just plain weird. I would have been pissed, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom