Aretha & Whitney cover KC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr J.

An interesting piece of information here.... just recently found out that both Aretha Franklin & Whitney Houston recorded "A Song For You"-Aretha in 1974,and Whitney in 2009 for her final album.

Of course,it's no secret that "A Song For You" has become a modern-day standard. Ray Charles,Dusty Springfield,Anita O'Day,Natalie Cole,Peggy Lee,Carmen McCrae and Nancy Wilson have recorded cover versions.(That's Nancy Wilson,the jazz singer-not Nancy Wilson,the rock singer)

An interesting piece of information here.... just recently found out that both Aretha Franklin & Whitney Houston recorded "A Song For You"-Aretha in 1974,and Whitney in 2009 for her final album.

Of course,it's no secret that "A Song For You" has become a modern-day standard. Ray Charles,Dusty Springfield,Anita O'Day,Natalie Cole,Peggy Lee,Carmen McCrae and Nancy Wilson have recorded cover versions.(That's Nancy Wilson,the jazz singer-not Nancy Wilson,the rock singer)

'A Song For You' has been recorded hundreds of times, although it's interesting that I've yet to hear a version that takes its cues from the Carpenters' arrangement - they pretty much all follow in the footsteps of Donny Hathaway's version.

Although I think that Richard and Karen's version is the best one out there (while I like Donny's take, it lacks the starkness and directness that makes the Carpenters' version so compelling), because it doesn't seem to be the version that most people are familiar with and because it wasn't a single, I never really consider it to be *their* song as such.

And yet, to my ears, no one can top the Carpenters' version. It's no surprise to me that it was singled out many times for praise in reviews of ASFY in 1972 and was even suggested as a single by some reviewers.

Funny, I hadn't ever really looked to see how many versions of "A Song for You" I had in my collection. I knew I had at least five or six, but it turns out it's quite a few more than that. Andy Williams' version seems to be the closest to the Carpenters' version in terms of arrangement, having similar backing vocal and piano parts, although it ends up being much more overblown and lacks the "intimate" feel of Karen's reading.

In my collection, I have versions by:

Michael Ball
Jim Brickman
Michael Bublé
Carpenters
Ray Charles
Cher
Sheena Easton
Aretha Franklin
Whitney Houston
Peggy Lee
David Pack (of Ambrosia)
Simply Red
Dusty Springfield
Andy Williams
Amy Winehouse

David Pack's version is somewhat of a mystery to me. It's a bonus track from his The Secret of Movin' On album, but I can't find any info on it anywhere. Someone gave it to me (MP3 file) a few years back, and there's no documentation with it. There's a guest female vocalist singing the song -- sounds vaguely like Martina McBride, but I don't think it's her -- and it's quite lovely.

I've searched the Internet for info, but I can't find anything about bonus tracks on this release. Not on allmusic, discogs, rateyourmusic.com, Amazon, CD Japan.

And yet, to my ears, no one can top the Carpenters' version. It's no surprise to me that it was singled out many times for praise in reviews of ASFY in 1972 and was even suggested as a single by some reviewers.

To mine, Donny Hathaway's version crushes all others - even Carpenters. Whitney Houston was doing a dance cover of Donny's cover. The intro figure on hers resembles Donny's very closely. In fact, it's his arrangement that's most often covered. Whenever I talk about this tune with others, the only one they know is Donny's.

I certainly do like Carpenters' version. Her vocal is fantastic and Richard's arrangement is really good. It absolutely should have been a single, though editing the sax solo is unthinkable to me. In my insignificant opinion, Donny's version is in some other league from everyone else's. It can't even be compared to anyone else's. It's very much it's own thing.

Ed

'Reetha's career was a lot better in the '60's when was just starting out... THAT was when she was our "Queen Of Soul"!!!!

The '70's was too characterized by heavy-handed producers, overwrought arrangements and overloaded production, passable sing-songy songwriter mills, jingle festivals and Disco! Of which Ms. Franklin was with exceptions of the Gospel of Amazing Grace, or something like Spirit In The Dark or Young, Gifted And Black seldom immune to--if there were the occasional exception... Which I could classify her take as--not bad, though hardly given her somewhat disinterest in the environment this decade gave her, then, not decadent... It was the '80's that her world that her ground-breaking change she'd made, earlier, came alive again...!

Whitney, too, beyond her idolatry of Aretha, could not do much more than the cookie-cutter design of today's pop--and flirtations of classic R&B only made a career, tepid, at best (Mariah Carey, was also another contender in that sort of game)...

There were countless renditions of that countless Leon Russell-written chestnut--and Andy Williams, as well as The Carpenters rank as my all-time favorites... (Well, I like Righteous Brother Bill Medley's stab at it, too) While Donny Hathaway's treatment is as touchstone, that if it were not such a popular favorite worthy of multiple interpretations, than it would truly be something no one else could touch! (Well, the four-or-five part harmony of The Temptations, right down to the album their version comes from, being a carbon-copy of The Carpenters LP, envelope-style cover, and all--doesn't render it an also-ran, either!)

The composer, himself, Mr. Leon, not really bad at voicing his own pen--at least it gave those bravely daring a run for the money, for mostly trying...

-- Dave

Last edited:
'A Song For You' has been recorded hundreds of times, although it's interesting that I've yet to hear a version that takes its cues from the Carpenters' arrangement - they pretty much all follow in the footsteps of Donny Hathaway's version.

Although I think that Richard and Karen's version is the best one out there (while I like Donny's take, it lacks the starkness and directness that makes the Carpenters' version so compelling), because it doesn't seem to be the version that most people are familiar with and because it wasn't a single, I never really consider it to be *their* song as such.
I think the record-buying public is most familiar with K&R's version-as it was the title track of a seminal multi-million selling album.It's also featured on many Carpenters compilations-giving it more added exposure.

A song doesn't have to be a single in order to be considered a signature tune of a particular artist.

As far as I know, K&R's and Ray Charles' versions are the only versions that have ever received any significant airplay(on traditional jazz and smooth jazz stations,respectively.)

To mine, Donny Hathaway's version crushes all others - even Carpenters. Whitney Houston was doing a dance cover of Donny's cover. The intro figure on hers resembles Donny's very closely. In fact, it's his arrangement that's most often covered. Whenever I talk about this tune with others, the only one they know is Donny's.

I certainly do like Carpenters' version. Her vocal is fantastic and Richard's arrangement is really good. It absolutely should have been a single, though editing the sax solo is unthinkable to me. In my insignificant opinion, Donny's version is in some other league from everyone else's. It can't even be compared to anyone else's. It's very much it's own thing.

Ed
K&R's version was more of a traditional jazz arrangement. Donny Hathaway revamped the song into a Soul/R&B setting-and many of the subsequent versions followed his arrangement.

K&R's remains the definitive version.That particular song is very difficult to sing with the precision that it calls for-but,unlike most of the artists that have recorded it,Karen pulls it off effortlessly.

K&R's version was more of a traditional jazz arrangement. Donny Hathaway revamped the song into a Soul/R&B setting-and many of the subsequent versions followed his arrangement.

Absolutely. Most every version I've come in contact with follows his.

K&R's remains the definitive version.That particular song is very difficult to sing with the precision that it calls for-but,unlike most of the artists that have recorded it,Karen pulls it off effortlessly.

I respectfully disagree. I don't believe Carpenters have the definitive version of that tune. Based on what you said above, clearly Donny does. If everyone's basing their covers on his version, his is definitive. Carpenters' version is excellent, but not definitive.

I also disagree that it's all that hard to sing. It's range of notes isn't huge and the melody isn't "all over the place". Donny imbued tremendous emotion and nuance into it as did Karen and that's what's not easy to do with this tune. They are the two top versions with the Tempts coming in 3rd for me.

Ed

I think the record-buying public is most familiar with K&R's version-as it was the title track of a seminal multi-million selling album.It's also featured on many Carpenters compilations-giving it more added exposure.

A song doesn't have to be a single in order to be considered a signature tune of a particular artist.

As far as I know, K&R's and Ray Charles' versions are the only versions that have ever received any significant airplay(on traditional jazz and smooth jazz stations,respectively.)

I have to say I don't get any sense that Karen and Richard's version is particularly well known by the general public. True, it's been used on some compilations, but less frequently than, say, other favoured album tracks like 'This Masquerade', which, like 'Let Me Be the One', seems to have a higher recognition factor by the public than it. I've also never heard it on the radio (and I've heard both 'This Masquerade' and 'Let Me Be the One' played numerous times).

Also, excellent album though it is, I think the A Song For You album was actually the lowest selling album of the Carpenters' golden period of 1970-1973 (mainly because of the order of single choices), so the song wasn't gaining a 'new' audience outside those who'd bought the Carpenters and Close to You albums already via that means either.

Had Karen and Richard released it as a single, they might have had a shot at vying for the position of being the 'definitive take' by exposing it to a wider audience, but as it is, it's never received anything like the level of recognition that Donny Hathaway's version has gained. It's worth remembering too that Donny's version was released a year before the Carpenters' version, so he wasn't revamping their arrangement - they to some extent were revamping his.

I have often heard "A Song For You" by Carpenters on radio. It tends to be played on stations that feature a bit of jazz or MOR formats. Can't say I've ever heard Donny Hathaway's version, but that's probably just me. I have heard Ray Charles.

And Ray Charles "singing this Song For You" is who I haven't heard (well, maybe not since long ago, when the myriad versions by 'everyone' were coming out)...

-- Dave

I'm learning many new things in this thread!
Quite fascinating.
I must say, I adore Karen Carpenter's reading of "A Song For You",
however, that being said, Donny Hathaway's (1971 Atco Records ) interpretation
is in an entirely different league.
So, again, this is comparing Apples to Oranges.
I've never heard either version on the radio. ( That signifies absolutely nothing!)
I've never heard anyone refer to the song specifically as a Carpenters' song.
Had it not been the song which ended the Television Movie, I'm not sure the general public
would have made the association, either. (i.e., 'Karen Carpenter with A Song For You').
Seems to me there is no definitive version, unless you confine your tastes to only one genre of music.
What Donny Hathaway brings to this song is indescribable.
What Karen Carpenter expresses vocally is indescribable.
Two unique interpretations, both worthy of serious consideration.
I love both interpretations.
Also, I love apples and oranges.

That's certainly true of songs like 'This Masquerade', which still gets a lot of radio play and is included in so many compilations I'm sure much of the general public thinks it was a single.

One other point about the validity of a song dependent on whether or not it's released as a single: "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin, is considered one of the greatest (if not the greatest) rock songs of all time; and yet, it was never released as a single in the United States. I think it's safe to say that this particular song is the signature song of Led Zeppelin as well as the definitive version!

Further, speaking of "apples and oranges," it's not often you hear Carpenters and Led Zeppelin mentioned in the same breath, unless, of course, you were listening to the radio in the 1970s. :)

That's certainly true of songs like 'This Masquerade', which still gets a lot of radio play and is included in so many compilations I'm sure much of the general public thinks it was a single.

When most people think of this tune, they think of George Benson. He did release it as a single and won a Grammy for "Record of the Year", was nominated for Song of the Year and for Best Pop Vocal Performance, Male. It also did very well on both the Pop and R&B charts. Carpenters' version, great as it is, is largely unknown to the general populace. I'm not sure it could have been a single as I can't imagine editing any of it. I love it just as it is - piano and flute solos intact. If edited, one or both would go missing. That would have been a real crime.

I get the feeling that there's some "fan-ness" going on in here and it's creating some unrealistic POV's. Just trying to keep us on the right track...:wink:

Ed

I have often heard "A Song For You" by Carpenters on radio. It tends to be played on stations that feature a bit of jazz or MOR formats. Can't say I've ever heard Donny Hathaway's version, but that's probably just me. I have heard Ray Charles.

Ray's is a nearly direct copy of Donny's. I've heard it and he does a very nice job on it. The production is a little overdone (typical of Richard Perry) but it's nice.

Ed

I get the feeling that there's some "fan-ness" going on in here and it's creating some unrealistic POV's. Just trying to keep us on the right track...:wink:

I can only speak for myself and I have to say I've never even heard George Benson's version nor did I know he'd even recorded it.

Ed, you do make a salient point.
And, also, much of how 'we' are perceiving things--as in, for instance, the prominence of a certain
Carpenters' song--came after their heyday. Take a gander at news reports in 1983, you will not find--
or, at least I am unable to locate--reference to either Karen Carpenter's preeminence on A Song For You
or This Masquerade. (Back then two songs were singled out: Close To You and We've Only Just Begun.)
Compact Disc re-packaging & compilations, added to 1990's Carpenters' revisionist thinking--in general--
has been responsible for elevating the status of certain songs in the Carpenters' back-catalog.
Fans, of course, already know of these Carpenters' gems; the general public, I'm not so sure about.
At least, certainly it was not generally acknowledged in early 1983, or before

Ed, you do make a salient point.
And, also, much of how 'we' are perceiving things--as in, for instance, the prominence of a certain
Carpenters' song--came after their heyday. Take a gander at news reports in 1983, you will not find--
or, at least I am unable to locate--reference to either Karen Carpenter's preeminence on A Song For You
or This Masquerade. (Back then two songs were singled out: Close To You and We've Only Just Begun.)
Compact Disc re-packaging & compilations, added to 1990's Carpenters' revisionist thinking--in general--
has been responsible for elevating the status of certain songs in the Carpenters' back-catalog.
Fans, of course, already know of these Carpenters' gems; the general public, I'm not so sure about.
At least, certainly it was not generally acknowledged in early 1983, or before
PEOPLE did an article on K&R's recorded catalog in May,1983-and singled out "This Masquerade" as a particularly important recording.

When most people think of this tune, they think of George Benson. He did release it as a single and won a Grammy for "Record of the Year", was nominated for Song of the Year and for Best Pop Vocal Performance, Male. It also did very well on both the Pop and R&B charts. Carpenters' version, great as it is, is largely unknown to the general populace. I'm not sure it could have been a single as I can't imagine editing any of it. I love it just as it is - piano and flute solos intact. If edited, one or both would go missing. That would have been a real crime.

Ed
Actually,K&R's version was already well-known by the time George recorded his version-as it was featured on a #1 multi-million selling album(Now & Then). It was also the B-side of the "Please Mr. Postman" single-which was quite a big seller.It's also received quite a bit of airplay on Easy-listening and jazz stations over the years-and I remember it being played regularly on a particular easy listening/lounge station in NY in the early 80's. Plenty of people are familiar with K&R's version.

There's no "fan-ness" going on here-it's just the plain truth.George Benson is one of my favorite recording artists-and Breezin' is one of my Desert Island discs.But,I have to concede,not everyone is familiar with George's version of "This Masquerade".And,many people that know George's version are equally familiar with K&R's version.

Incidently,George mentioned K&R's version in his recent autobiography.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom