Annie Lennox to Peform "I Can Dream Can't I" on New Album Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
can't think of anything worse!, it's a very difficult song to sing as my singing teacher told me 30 years ago after running out of the room because he couldn't play it!!!!
Also I had a singing lesson once with Mary Hammond who used to train Annie, I was a fan of hers at the time, mainly because of the Eurythmics. I asked Mary about this and she snapped at me 'she's a dreadful singer'. It wasn't until years later that I understood what she was talking about. Annie is no Karen vocally.

Also I had a singing lesson once with Mary Hammond who used to train Annie, I was a fan of hers at the time, mainly because of the Eurythmics. I asked Mary about this and she snapped at me 'she's a dreadful singer'. It wasn't until years later that I understood what she was talking about. Annie is no Karen vocally.

Whilst Annie has a quality to her voice, she's got very little control over it. She's dreadful live, constantly goes over and under pitch.

It's amazing how some singers can fool people into thinking they are good, especially live as you say. Control is extremely important to someone who is making a living at singing, that's why you have lessons. This is also why I have huge respect for Celine Dion, she is serious about her art. I remember friends of mine in the 1980's walking out on Diana Ross concerts (2 different dates) saying she just couldn't sing live, out of pitch and all over the place timing wise. I heard an interview this year with the guy that invented the pitch control gizmo that was used by Cher, stating that everyone uses it now to correct bad singing. At least Karen had perfect pitch and timing...even live!

I remember friends of mine in the 1980's walking out on Diana Ross concerts (2 different dates) saying she just couldn't sing live, out of pitch and all over the place timing wise.

I once read a review of a Diana Ross hits compilation in the UK magazine 'Record Collector' that started with the line 'Whatever her vocal limitations...'. Says it all really.

I heard an interview this year with the guy that invented the pitch control gizmo that was used by Cher, stating that everyone uses it now to correct bad singing. At least Karen had perfect pitch and timing...even live!

That will be Mark Taylor. There's a really cool exerpt from an interview with him that's on wikipedia about the song 'Believe'. I digress from the thread but it's an interesting read...

"The song was recorded approximately in ten days in Surrey, United Kingdom. Cher's voice is altered by a pitch correction speed that is "set too fast for the audio that it is processing." Producer Mark Taylor added the effect to Cher's vocal simply as a kind of mischievous experiment. In interviews at the time, he claimed to be testing out his recently purchased DigiTech Talker. It later emerged that the effect was not created by a vocoder, but by using extreme (and then-unheard-of) settings on Antares Auto-Tune. Taylor said about the effect that "this was the most nerve-wracking part of the project, because I wasn't sure what Cher would say when she heard what I'd done to her voice", but that when she heard it she said, "It sounds great!". When her record company requested that the effect be removed, she responded, "Over my dead body!". After the massive success of the song, use of Auto-Tune became very popular and many other artists imitated this technique, and it would eventually become known as the "Cher effect"."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Believe_(Cher_song)

It's ironic that its called 'the cher effect' as Cher didn't really need it, it was just for effect on that song, she has a brilliant voice, although she doesn't seam to think so. Not sure whether she used it on her last album though, she is getting on a bit and I thought it was a bit of a let down. I also wonder whether Agnetha Faltskog used it on her last album, she sounded too good for a women in her 60's. Usually the voice is fading by 63.

I also wonder whether Agnetha Faltskog used it on her last album, she sounded too good for a women in her 60's. Usually the voice is fading by 63.

She's only 64 :)

I don't think she used it on her 'A' album, it's more than Jörgen Elofsson was very gentle with her and ensured that her voice was surrounded by a production that really complemented it. There's a clip of her recording 'The One Who Loves You Now' on the accompanying documentary (watch it here at 48m46s) and her voice is so fragile. That's actually one of the nicest qualities to her voice, it sounds like delicate glass.

Exactly Agnetha is 64, the age most singers, especially women loose their voice is 63, that's why Anne Murray retired. So anyone sounding good after that age in my opinion is using pitch correction. You can tell singers who don't use it like Neil Diamond or Glen Campbell, they sound different than they used to when young. Infact Glen sounds like a completely different singer in the last 5 years than from the 1970's. But he still can sing. I've heard so many old singers on Tv etc who sound dreadful now. Liza Minnelli for one has certainly lost her voice.

Gordon Lightfoot is another. His range is so high now (from smoking??) his songs performed live are hardly recognizable...and I think he just turned 76.

Gordon Lightfoot is another. His range is so high now (from smoking??) his songs performed live are hardly recognizable...and I think he just turned 76.

Don't know who Gordon Lightfoot is but smoking generally lowers your voice and vocal range, making the sound more 'raspy' (check out the latest audio interviews of Richard or performances of Dionne Warwick as examples).

Stephen, you don't know Gordon Lightfoot? Man, I heard his voice so much on the radio growing up, I still remember hearing Sundown played on the radio and If You Could Read My Mind. He has a one of a kind voice.

I didn't really follow Dionne career but yeah I could tell her voice was not the same lately, however her duet she did with Rumer on Into Colour called "Hasbrook Heights" sounds amazing, however she is only doing some backing vocals with a 1 or 2 line verses so it's hard to gauge on that but she sounded really great like the 70's Dionne and their voices sound great together. I love that track.

Stephen, you don't know Gordon Lightfoot? Man, I heard his voice so much on the radio growing up, I still remember hearing Sundown played on the radio and If You Could Read My Mind. He has a one of a kind voice

Today was the first time I'd heard the name Chris. I'm guessing he's American? I think he's virtually unknown in the UK.

Annie Lennox is tough to take in large doses as a little of her goes a long way. But I do like some of her old Eurythmic hits and a few of her solo tracks.

Gordon Lightfoot is Canadian. His big hits were all over radio in the '70s. The radio station I worked at began life as a soft, folky kind of sound and played a lot of Gordon Lightfoot's lesser hits and album tracks. On our recent trip over the holiday weekend, before I broke out the Christmas music, we played a car-compilation of Gordon Lightfoot's stuff. When the amazing song, "Pussywillows, Cattails" came on, I remarked to my wife that it's hard to imagine that kind of song getting airplay on commercial radio - but it did!

Harry

"The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" is Gordon Lightfoot's most iconic song:

"If You Could Read My Mind" is the first hit song of his I can recall hearing:

And yes, Gordon Lightfoot is Canadian. He and fellow Canadian Anne Murray hit mainstream popularity right around the same time.

Well, live performance or not, Annie Lennox has made some great albums. I'll bet she does a nice job with this song and any other standards she does...

Of course Annie is no Karen. Karen was magnificent. But then, I don't know what she would have done with the Eurhythmics songbook - Annie has a unique sound and a remarkable range in her work, both stylistically and emotionally.....

Karen might not have been able to sing the Eurythmics but Anne Murray did a wonderful job on 'sweet dreams are made of this' singing with the video of them in the mid 1980's. Anne also added her voice, making duets with the Rolling stones, David Bowie, Elton John, Police and Culture Club. It was brilliant and shows how versatile Anne Murray was. I can't believe she got the others to agree to using their videos on her UK show, it would never happen today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom