And When He Smiles (revisited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorningOpensQuietly

I felt compelled to pull a discussion out of the mothballs to celebrate what a terrific performance "And When He Smiles" is for our beloved duo and band! I recently discovered the joy of watching Carpenters' videos (and others) posted on YouTube on our big screen home TV thanks to my sons' Xbox player (who would've ever imagined)?!? And this performance on the BBC special always knocks my socks off; in fact, the whole darn BBC special is pure Carpenters' magic to me.

My only regret is that the song to me always seems to be one verse too short. When AWHS is over, I am left longing for more, very similar to the way "Let Me Be the One" leaves me feeling at its ending as well. Anyone else feel the same longing as I do over this cherished (and mostly hidden) gem of Karen and Richard?

I think Karen was waiting for the "rest of the melody" with "Let Me Be the One" as well.

would be fun if a lyricist were on this website who could add additional lyrics to "And When He Smiles." The other day, I was longing for more of "For All We Know" and wished there was a hidden verse out there somewhere. I'm so grateful to Richard for adding all of the intro's to the Christmas songs. Or Peter or whoever it was.

would be fun if a lyricist were on this website who could add additional lyrics to "And When He Smiles."

Don't really consider myself a lyricist by any stretch, but these popped into my mind. Yes, they are kind of cheesy but they do fit in with the real lyrics (sunshine, rain, morning dew, etc.). Cool thing with this song is there is really only one couplet that changes each verse. The rest ("happiness runs... etc.") just repeats.

When he smiles, he makes the birds sing.
He brings the rainbows out to play.
Happiness runs in the family...

When he smiles, he lights the darkness.
He gives the moon its shining face.

And this performance on the BBC special always knocks my socks off; in fact, the whole darn BBC special is pure Carpenters' magic to me....My only regret is that the song to me always seems to be one verse too short... I am left longing for more, very similar to the way "Let Me Be the One" leaves me feeling
AWHS is definitely one of their greatest hidden gems - beautifully arranged and professionally performed, with Karen 'effortlessly' outstanding! That clip gives me the same feeling of awe and respect for musicianship on a television stage as I had for that other wonderful British production at the time - Nana Mouskouri and her group The Athenians.

I feel, though, that 3 minutes is the right length for this number. The simple lyric conveys the song's intent well enough, with the singer's mood well-reinforced by the gentle and pleasant instrumental parts.

On the other hand, I agree 100% on "Let Me Be The One". With its somewhat greater lyrical and musical depth, and coming in under 2 and a half minutes, it really needed to be longer. I think Paul Williams writing a second wonderful bridge for that song would have done the trick.

Last edited:
Actor-man… that's awesome. I sing that song for my twins at night. I also think "he doesn't have a point of view" is brilliant. Who needs a point of view?

Ned Nickerson's Youtube account has the original version as performed by the Wildweeds.
Too bad this song did not make it to one of the early Carpenters' albums.
Also, with Richard's penchant for requesting lyrical alterations from other artists,on other songs,
I am surprised that he did not peruse that avenue with this song.
It might have lessened the impact of Druscilla Penny !
Again, many musical questions I could ask Richard Carpenter. Endless, really.

Ned Nickerson's Youtube account has the original version as performed by the Wildweeds.
Too bad this song did not make it to one of the early Carpenters' albums.
Also, with Richard's penchant for requesting lyrical alterations from other artists,on other songs,
I am surprised that he did not peruse that avenue with this song.
It might have lessened the impact of Druscilla Penny !
Again, many musical questions I could ask Richard Carpenter. Endless, really.

Yes that's what the Tan album needed," Druscilla Penny" was just horrific, had it been replaced with "And When He Smiles", that would have placed "Carpenters" Tan album as my fav.

Should have been included in the Tan album.....simple but great pop song. Just love the way Karen lifts her arm over her head at the end of the song...she makes it look so easy, is it that easy to sing and drum at the same time? It's like taking multi-tasking to a new level!!

Should have been included in the Tan album.....simple but great pop song. Just love the way Karen lifts her arm over her head at the end of the song...she makes it look so easy, is it that easy to sing and drum at the same time? It's like taking multi-tasking to a new level!!

After watching this video for several times, I've come to the conclusion that if Karen had been left to her own devices, she would have tired of drumming and decided to concentrate on that amazing vocal instrument. Can you imagine if the tables were turned and Richard was forced to give up his keyboards and stand centre stage and sing his heart out.

After watching this video for several times, I've come to the conclusion that if Karen had been left to her own devices, she would have tired of drumming and decided to concentrate on that amazing vocal instrument.
Chris - that's an interesting comment! What is your specific reasoning?

What? There's something amiss about 'Druscilla Penny'? What could that be? :)
I've always loved the end of this video where Richard appears to flip off the band!

Chris - that's an interesting comment! What is your specific reasoning?

Karen should have been allowed to evolve naturally in her own time instead of being pushed centre stage and being forced to give up her beloved drum sticks. As her self confidence would have grown about her vocal capabilities, drumming would have taken second place, anyone who is forced out of their comfort zone, will react in one way or another. Unfortunately Karen's comfort zone was taken away from her too soon.

I love this song and it's inherent message and simplicity. Often times makes me think of the one I've called Xtra XXtr special for almost....drumroll...19 years-o-bliss. .

and he's just about the happiest boy I ever knew...
Jeff
P.S. That's on the hush

After watching this video for several times, I've come to the conclusion that if Karen had been left to her own devices, she would have tired of drumming and decided to concentrate on that amazing vocal instrument. Can you imagine if the tables were turned and Richard was forced to give up his keyboards and stand centre stage and sing his heart out.
I wonder if that had happened, would they have referred to her as the drummer from the CarpenterS. I don't think so.

I, too, love this song and this performance. I agree it should be on an album.

I do not see how some of you see this as evidence Karen would have given up drumming. This same show has the rarity "I Fell in Love WithYou" where Karen drums joyfully behind Doug's voice and Bob's sax, overjoyed. Then look at Palladium. It's in her eyes and smile when she drums.

Hindsight is 20/20 unless it's wild speculation!

I agree with Guitarmutt. Keep in mind that until her last day, Karen referred to herself as 'a drummer who sings'. It was part of her DNA. Itchy Ramone even mentions that during her late '82 hospital stay in NYC, she was 'always drumming everywhere'.

Plus, during her solo sessions she is quoted, in Little Girl Blue, with 'let me show you what I got! Karen was drawn by some gravitational pull to the drums.

Just an observation by Schmidt.

She pulls back with a comment about her butt, but desire is undeniable.

Don't really consider myself a lyricist by any stretch, but these popped into my mind. Yes, they are kind of cheesy but they do fit in with the real lyrics (sunshine, rain, morning dew, etc.). Cool thing with this song is there is really only one couplet that changes each verse. The rest ("happiness runs... etc.") just repeats.

When he smiles, he makes the birds sing.
He brings the rainbows out to play.

When he smiles, he lights the darkness.
He gives the moon its shining face.

He brings the rainbows out to play.... That's lovely..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom