Ali Thomson

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfiedler17

Harry said:
Exception, one track, "Every Day Is A Monday" is the same tune as "Il Mio Sbaglio Piu Grande" and generates the same excitement. The music on that one was co-written by former A&M'er Ali Thomson.

Ali Thomson? Seriously??!! I may have to check that one out then! I love his songs. Definitely an overlooked talent.

Jeff F.

Radio Maven Fiedler said:
Ali Thomson? Seriously??!! I love his songs.

Jeff,

Thanks for answering a question I've long had! I bought Ali's first LP (Give A Little Rhythm) and from the cover and the voice I could not discern whether Ali was a male or female. Even the A&M press material I found never used the words "him," "her," "his," "hers," "he" or "she."

--Mr Bill
noting that at least with Chris Montez, once you saw his picture you knew he was a "he."

Mr Bill said:
I bought Ali's first LP (Give A Little Rhythm) and from the cover and the voice I could not discern whether Ali was a male or female. Even the A&M press material I found never used the words "him," "her," "his," "hers," "he" or "she."

That's pretty funny that the A&M press material didn't use any gender-indicative words! How did they manage that???? :laugh: That's even more surprising than it would normally be, considering I almost never see his name in print without there also being a side-mention about him being the brother of Supertramp's bassist Dougie Thomson; the A&M press material doesn't mention that?

Jeff F.

Nope. It does say "Thomson's brother is Supertramp bassist..." but that construction of the sentence does NOT indicate the gender of the subject, only the direct object (to use basic grade school English terms). To be honest I've assumed Ali to be female all these years, based on work with other artists of the feminine persuasion (Lani Hall, Allee Willis, etc).

--Mr Bill

With his Paul McCartney sound-alike vocals, I never assumed anything other than male for Mr. Thomson.

http://www.bluedesert.dk/alithomson.html

sp4803.jpg

(Split from the Laura Pausini thread)

Harry

I remember seeing Ali Thompson as a co-writer of songs by Gary Wright, such as "Love Is Alive" and even "Dream Weaver"... I always thought the song Ali was known for was "Take A Little Rhythm", with-which I would see Gary Wright's name under along with Thompson's and thought it was HIS song; it was actually in Song Hits Magazine that I was introduced to it and heard the chorus of it on the radio, briefly, too--while changing stations...

Dave

Harry said:
With his Paul McCartney sound-alike vocals, I never assumed anything other than male for Mr. Thomson.

Not as McCartney-esque as Emitt Rhodes! But ALi's voice is higher than most women I know (or maybe my turntable spun a little faster than it should've).

Certainly that cover image is not gender specific -- I've had girlfriends with smaller breasts (or at least whyat could be breasts in that cover image)!

sp4803.jpg

--Mr Bill

Be advised he is male! Two LP's for A&M. Take A Little Rhythm and The Art Of Deception. The only hit that he co-wrote with Gary Wright was "Really Wanna Know You" from 1981.

Ali Thompson and Chris Montez; as Daffy Duck once said, "Aha! Pronoun trouble!" The same thing in reverse applied to the late belter whose label (Liberty) had to bill her as "Miss Timi Yuro." (Which had been 'Americanized' from her very Italian real name, Timotea Iaurro. Then there was the strange case of "Bonnie Jo Mason;" DJ's didn't believe the voice on this novelty record could possibly belong to a girl...too deep! :footinmouth:

However, she's done a pretty good job of proving she is indeed female for the past 45 years or so... :agree:

In 1984, I kept wondering why the Pointer Sisters were credited with "Automatic" when obviously a male was singing lead. :)

Harry

Be advised he is male! Two LP's for A&M. Take A Little Rhythm and The Art Of Deception. The only hit that he co-wrote with Gary Wright was "Really Wanna Know You" from 1981.

Glad to see that someone finally corrected the first album title as "TAKE A Little Rhythm". Correction on that second album title: "Deception Is An Art"... FYI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom