After Carpenters, what is your fav duo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Mills

That was funny....like the dark vomited up
I'm nominating two duo's.....2x2 and all that....1st after Carps is....... Donald Fagen & Walter Becker....and secondly.......... Daryl Hall & John Oates. Are there any other duo's that need a mention?

Never having thought about this before, I realized that I don't really listen to a lot of duos. The vast majority of my music collection is solo artists, followed by "groups" in whatever form they take.

I'd have to go with the Indigo Girls as my second-favorite duo. I very much like Simon and Garfunkel, but I listen to the Indigo Girls a lot more.

Impossible for me to choose, although many of those already mentioned are quite harmonious !

Pat & Shirley Boone--actually they are my First, then Carps, 2nd...! :)

-- Dave

I don't really listen to many duos, but more duets. Donny and Marie. Really like their version of "Deep Purple". Also like Olivia and Andy Gibb's "I Can't Help It"- perfect romantic late night radio. (Right, Chris- an Ordinary Fool???)

Hall and Oates would be my second favorite. I saw them just last night at Ravinia! Great show.

That is one live performance I would love to see, amazing to think they're still performing together. Daryl's House was a great show, he had some amazing guests including Rumer.

I don't really listen to many duos, but more duets. Donny and Marie. Really like their version of "Deep Purple". Also like Olivia and Andy Gibb's "I Can't Help It"- perfect romantic late night radio. (Right, Chris- an Ordinary Fool???)

You've made a very good distinction here between duos and duets. The Carpenters, Hall & Oates, Simon & Garfunkel, or Sonny & Cher were duos; known for performing together over a period of time. Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross and Lionel Richie, or the Olivia/Andy Gibb recording you mentioned were duets, two star performers recording together for one time only.

A great spoof of 80's duet records was recorded by Barry Manilow and Lily Tomlin (!), called "The Last Duet." I can only find an overdubbed remix on You Tube, but here 'tis anyway... (See how many in-joke references you can find in the lyrics!)

I liked Donny and Marie's "Deep Purple" too, though (to me anyway) it sounds almost identical to the earlier version by Nino Tempo and April Stevens (another brother-sister team.) Yet I know people who love the earlier version and hate the remake! (As Pat Paulsen said, picky, picky, picky...)

You've made a very good distinction here between duos and duets. The Carpenters, Hall & Oates, Simon & Garfunkel, or Sonny & Cher were duos; known for performing together over a period of time. Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross and Lionel Richie, or the Olivia/Andy Gibb recording you mentioned were duets, two star performers recording together for one time only.

A great spoof of 80's duet records was recorded by Barry Manilow and Lily Tomlin (!), called "The Last Duet." I can only find an overdubbed remix on You Tube, but here 'tis anyway... (See how many in-joke references you can find in the lyrics!)

I liked Donny and Marie's "Deep Purple" too, though (to me anyway) it sounds almost identical to the earlier version by Nino Tempo and April Stevens (another brother-sister team.) Yet I know people who love the earlier version and hate the remake! (As Pat Paulsen said, picky, picky, picky...)

A duo is two people who perform with one another in some way. The Carpenters were not a vocal duo in the same vein as Simon and Garfunkel, Donny and Marie, Sonny and Cher, etc. Their association was of arranger-music director/singer.

A duet refers only to the piece of music sung or played by two people, usually in two relatively equal, but distinctive harmonic parts. Carpenters, though a duo, didn’t perform duets

My favorite vocal duo is the Everly Brothers. Nobody sang duets like those two.

Technically true, but still, they were credited as a duo rather than "Karen Carpenter, arranged and conducted by Richard Carpenter," and were included in the list in question along with Simon & Garfunkel, etc. I guess The Captain and Tennille might be a better comparison than the Everly Brothers.

(I just realized that "the list in question" I just mentioned is actually part of another thread, having to do with a Rolling Stone list of duos and duets. Sorry for any confusion...)

Last edited:
I think I posted in the wrong duo thread. Simon and Garfunkel top of the list usually but the Common Linnets are my favourite duo at present. Youtube links can be found in A Curious List - Top Duos. The Proclaimers are pretty good too and just like the Carpenters have a track in a Shrek movie.

Daryl Hall & John Oates for me as well.

I've been listening for thirty years, and I have a ticket to see them in October.

Like Richard, John is often a bit misunderstood. What does he do? Backing vocals, guitar? Well, he writes great songs too. That lead on Sara Smile at beginning that everyone knows? John Oates. And so on. There is an underlying chemistry between them that is greater than the whole, just like the Carpenters.

"Hello, yeah it's been awhile, not much how about you" England Dan and John Ford Coley
"Darling, if you want me to be closer to you, get closer to me" Seals and Crofts
Seals and Croft's song "King of Nothing' has always been a standout favorite of mine from the first time I heard it played during the Summer of 1972 (I *think* it was '72). I also think that Karen's duet with John Denver on their first TV special (Comin' thru the Rye) was simply sublime ! Does that count as an alternate singing duo though...? LOLOL

Daryl Hall & John Oates for me as well.

I've been listening for thirty years, and I have a ticket to see them in October.

Like Richard, John is often a bit misunderstood. What does he do? Backing vocals, guitar? Well, he writes great songs too. That lead on Sara Smile at beginning that everyone knows? John Oates. And so on. There is an underlying chemistry between them that is greater than the whole, just like the Carpenters.
Daryl Hall and John Oates are wonderful! They are the duo I began listening to after my interest in the Carpenters waned (mainly with the Made in America album). They continue to tour together, but their focus in the studio is on their respective solo careers. You're right, John has long been underestimated, which is sad. Prior to their '80s commercial heyday, they were very much a team in every sense of the word, and Daryl and John both had fairly equal amounts of lead vocal time. But once it became clear (or was decided by management) that Daryl was the star, John began taking more of a backseat role. He still played rhythm guitar and wrote songs, but a lot of his work was as a sort of unsung hero on the production side of things. Anyone who doubts his talents, mistakenly believing he's the Andrew Ridgeley to Daryl's George Michael, should listen to his latest solo outing: Good Road to Follow

Well this is a good topic. Some of my favorite duos would be:
  • The Eurythmics
  • Sonny and Cher ( I actually got to see them in concert, at the age of 7 or 8 - :cool:)
  • The Captain and Tennille
  • Jan and Dean
  • Simon and Garfunkel
  • Hall and Oates
These represent a few duos that made great music together.

A duo is two people who perform with one another in some way. The Carpenters were not a vocal duo in the same vein as Simon and Garfunkel, Donny and Marie, Sonny and Cher, etc. Their association was of arranger-music director/singer.

A duet refers only to the piece of music sung or played by two people, usually in two relatively equal, but distinctive harmonic parts. Carpenters, though a duo, didn’t perform duets

My favorite vocal duo is the Everly Brothers. Nobody sang duets like those two.

Actually, the Carpenters' relationship was not unlike Sonny & Cher - in a weird way. He produced the records and wrote many of the songs, they both sang together, although she sang the lion's share of leads and was acknowledged as the unique, memorable voice that made their sound. Wouldn't want to hear layered harmonies from Sonny & Cher, though.....:)

Hall and Oates, Fagan and Becker, Simon and Garfunkel. Though I did go through a phase of Seals and Crofts and England Dan and John Ford Coley in my teens, as well as Captain and Tennille.

Though they started as a trio, they're now a duo - Andy Connell and Corinne Drewery - Swing Out Sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom