A Return to "Belz Mein Shtetele Belz"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles H.

Among the many delights (including all the photos on the gate fold album cover) of 1968's "The Beat of the Brass," is "Belz Mein Shtetele Belz (My Home Town)."

Recently, I became aware of Herb Alpert's second recording of the tune, with the first 'Belz' eliminated from the title. It's a longer version, arranged and conducted by Marvin Hamlisch and featuring Alicia Svigals on klezmer violin. It's Herb's contribution to "The Jewish Songbook," a compilation CD released by Shout! Factory in 2008.

Although I prefer the Tijuana Brass treatment, this one has its own merits and I wonder about the reaction of other fans who've heard it to this re-visit by Herb after 40 years.

Charles

I actually like the redone version, maybe not as much as the old TjB version, but it's a good re-visit to the tune. No offense to Ms. Svigals, but I could leave her opening and closing solo out. In fact, I did just such an edit. The violin solo opens the track and plays for over a minute and fifteen seconds, then the real "record" starts. At around the 4:45 mark into the track, the violin solo returns to close out the nearly 5 1/2 mnute track.

Simply by starting after the solo and fading out before the end solo, the track is reduced to a very standard length of 3:34 and for me, becomes much more listenable on a regular basis. If it was ever edited for radio, I'm sure this would have been the edit. I really like the harmony trumpets in the major-key bridge.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom