A&M Composers Series Vol. 2- Richard Carpenter & Joh

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

comp.gif

I acquired this Japanese CD from my new online friend Bob who is another Carpenters fan.

This is a 1988 Japanese CD with catalog # D25Y3269. The point of this CD was to put Richard and John's songs on 1 CD. Overall, it is a very nice Carpenters CD. However, one song is from Richard's solo album Time, I'm Still Not Over You.

The tracks are:

Yesterday Once More (1985 Remix)
Top Of The World (Single Version)
Sandy
Druscilla Penny
Maybe It's You (1987 Remix)
Eve (1987 Remix)
Saturday
(I'm Caught Between) Goodbye and I Love You
All I Can Do
Mr. Guder
Your Wonderful Parade

Crystal Lullaby (1987 Remix)
I Need To Be In Love (Single Version)
Only Yesterday
Because We Are In Love
(The Wedding Song)
Goodbye To Love (1985 Remix)
I'm Still Not Over You

Rumor has it that this compilation has nothing to do with Richard and so there may be some problem with the copyrights. I mean, Richard would be upset to know that this release was out without his permit and instruction.

See the track Maybe It's You usually comes after Love Is Surrender. Releases where that track appears solo may include Japan Treasures(1st remix) and From The Top(2nd remix).
And the version on this Bettis/Carpenter collection is an edit version of the 1st remix from Japan Treasures meaning 'without the segue from Surrender into Maybe'.
In that sense, it is rare.

So the recent release Carpenters Peform Carpenter can be the first and original under Richard's permission.

Well actually its a copy but still it counts. The same guy also gave me the rare CD Karen In My Memory. I haven't got that one yet...

I think I have finally got this guy to join so maybe we will all be seeing him around!

Another old thread revived, and another old CD acquired. Someone on another forum was selling this original Japanese release from the '80s (1988), so I picked it up to add to the collection.

The A&M Composers Series had, I believe, at least three entries. I know of Volume 3, Roger Nichols and Paul Williams, of which I have a digital copy. This one is Volume 2, Richard Carpenter and John Bettis, and my guess is that a Volume 1 must've been for Burt Bacharach and Hal David. These were all official releases by A&M Japan back in the fairly early days of Compact Discs.

Andrew did a good job of listing the tracks and mixes above - all I can add is that "Only Yesterday" is the longer album version.

Though similar in concept to CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER, there are notable differences between the two, while sharing a lot of songs.

Songs that appear on this COMPOSERS SERIES and NOT on CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER are:

Druscilla Penny
Saturday
(I'm Caught Between) Goodbye And I Love You
All I Can Do
Your Wonderful Parade
I'm Still Not Over You

Songs that appear on CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER and NOT on COMPOSERS SERIES:

All Of My Life
One Love
Those Good Old Dreams
At The End Of A Song
Look To Your Dreams
Karen's Theme
Merry Christmas Darling

Harry

I prefer this set over the "Carpenters perform Carpentert", something about the inclusion of "I'm Still Not Over you" jives better than the "bonus" "Merry Christmas, Darling" which has been put on too many non-Christmas compilations.

Love what you learn here!
I have this set and have never listened to it. It was just a gift. I never knew there was anything interesting about it.

I prefer this set over the "Carpenters perform Carpentert", something about the inclusion of "I'm Still Not Over you" jives better than the "bonus" "Merry Christmas, Darling" which has been put on too many non-Christmas compilations.

Not to mention the fact that John didn't co-write Merry Christmas Darling.

I suppose I'm in the minority, speaking only from the song listings--and, I only own the Carpenters Perform Carpenter CD---
my preference is for this latter incarnation.
"Merry Christmas, Darling" , in my opinion, exemplifies many attributes which characterize Carpenters music, generally.
As Composer, Richard Carpenter outdoes himself with this song. As Arranger,that ending, those harmonies...it all fits.
Saturday and Druscilla Penny, as I have previously exhorted, are representative of Richard Carpenter's playfulness---but, do
not represent Richard's best work. (merely my opinion).
If ever I listen to Mr. Guder, again, it will be too soon! Although, thanks for keeping Karen Carpenter drumming on this one.
( This song, I believe occupies too many slots on Compilations.)
But, again, to each his own.
Also,
Carpenters Perform Carpenter includes the "All of My Life", both composition and lyrics by Richard Carpenter.
Again, for the most part, any song Richard Carpenter composes contains an element of genius and surprise.
Of course, I may not actually love the song;
Nevertheless, I am appreciative of his involvement in creating those compositions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom