30th Anniversary coverage of Karen's death

Status
Not open for further replies.

no1kandrfan

Facebook friends have shared a couple of articles since yesterday. I'm excited to know that the anniversary of Karen's passing is not missing the media's radar. If you come across something, perhaps you can share your link on this thread as well:

Huffington Post: How The Carpenters Fan Club Changed My Life - by Donnie Demers
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/donnie-demers/the-carpenters-fan-club_b_2589661.html

Karen Carpenter: All She Needed Was Love (The Downey Patriot) - by Joel Samberg
http://www.thedowneypatriot.com/article.do?id=17716483

These articles are great! I saw the Patriot one last night, and thanks to no1kandrfan, I just read the other one about the fan club. Too cool. Thanks.

Great articles- and I will post mine on Monday on my blog. In tribute, it's a review of her solo album.

Such cool articles!

I was wondering though (and I may have missed this), did Ev give VIP opportunites to those with a special request?

I like the The Downey Patriot article, it seems though the writer had read Randy's book LGB.

What a sad day, I can't believe it's been 30 yrs, wow. If she had lived and she had recorded say 1 album every 2 yrs, we would have at the least 15 albums full of new music. However, as much as Karen loved music I bet it would have been more.

Facebook friends have shared a couple of articles since yesterday. I'm excited to know that the anniversary of Karen's passing is not missing the media's radar. If you come across something, perhaps you can share your link on this thread as well:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/donnie-demers/the-carpenters-fan-club_b_2589661.html

I can't seem to access the Patriot article. Anyone else having the same problem?

Ev Wallace was (is) such a nice, nice person. Even long after the fan club had disbanded, she still wrote me letters on occasion. In particular, she would write me while I was away living in another state while attending graduate school! This was in the early to mid 1990's. I hope Richard and the family appreciated how much she did on their behalf. I can honestly say, the entire Carpenter "organization" was pure class!

I think its amazing that Ev still kept in contact with diehard fans long after everything stopped. She understood just how much the duo and music meant to many people.

The 'Downey Patriot' article is very well written and covers pretty much all the bases.

It's great that she still has a following in Downey.

Would the 'Downey Patriot' be the local paper for Downey ?

I did a google search for 'Karen Carpenter' 30th anniversary and apart from fan-generated stuff on places like Facebook, there is very little out there it seems :sad:

Found this in terms of newspaper coverage, but it's just a list of 10 songs and some facts so not very imaginative.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/feb/3/list-top-10-carpenters-songs/

I think it is more than a little bit sad that Richard's PR machine hasn't got more coverage of such a milestone anniversary. Still, I guess he has his reasons.

I think it is more than a little bit sad that Richard's PR machine hasn't got more coverage of such a milestone anniversary. Still, I guess he has his reasons.

I think I can understand. A lot of people don't see the point in celebrating someone's death, especially someone close. Yoko Ono has asked fans to stop celebrating the date of John Lennon's shooting and instead focus on his birthday and life. Richard may fall into that category and not wish to "honor" a painful date. We know that he's often released celebratory CD sets around a happy event like the signing with A&M.

Harry

I think I can understand. A lot of people don't see the point in celebrating someone's death, especially someone close. Yoko Ono has asked fans to stop celebrating the date of John Lennon's shooting and instead focus on his birthday and life. Richard may fall into that category and not wish to "honor" a painful date. We know that he's often released celebratory CD sets around a happy event like the signing with A&M.

Harry

I see what you mean and I don't think anyone would use the word 'celebrating' in terms of what Richard could do on the 4th February.

It's the fact that even Karen's birthdays seem to pass by unnoticed and the anniversary of the A&M signings are not that dealt with in a very imaginative way. Why keep re-releasing the same tracks in a different order ?

I'm not saying Richard doesn't care (how can I know, I've never met or know the guy) but he could throw us fans a bone now and then.

I enjoyed the articles, as well...

Things hard copy such as People & your local newspaper surely would have been worth keeping through those years, too...

-- Dave

thank you so much for posting these links.... re the first one, I too had many "Ev" experiences, being a mamber of the fan club.... and the second article - was truly a lovely tribute. Iwonder if there is a mention today in any national publications? Like USA Today?

It'd be interesting to hear if anyone hears any coverage... I called our local Hippie Radio station and reminded them to play some Carpenters today... Gosh - 30 years later, I still am calling requesting their music! :)

I am grateful for those who posted links to these essays on Karen. The one by Mr. Demers is more of a tribute to Evelyn Wallace, some details of which seem hard to believe (as in her sending him chocolates and greeting cards). I'll take him at his word, though, and presume that those anecdotes further illustrate Ms. Wallace's noble attributes. I still proudly possess her newsletters and a personalized note she wrote me in response to a query. By most accounts, the Carpenters were surrounded by some terrific people!

Now, getting back to Karen, specifically, I am grateful for any reporter or blogger who pays any tribute to Karen and/or the Carpenters and their music, whether the occasion is for a sad anniversary or not. And I am grateful for many posters at this site who honor Karen on a daily basis. :)

The above tribute is so moving. Today is rather difficult for me. 30 years ago when I arrived home after work my Mom met me at the top of the stairs and quietly said "Jeff, Karen died today". I immediately went downstairs and cruised every tv channel, called radio stations, yes stations plural to hear this news repeatedly until it became real. I sat in shock as the local/national news and gossip tv played over and over the tragedy. The following morning I purchased several newspapers further detailing the crisis. On the cover of each was a horrendous photo of Karen. Something I hadn't witnessed before. For years I have suffered a debilitating depression. I invested so many happy hours in the fan club, record buying, three concerts. The last of which Ev was kind enough to arrange a backstage pass that may meet Karen and Richard in Lake Tahoe's Harrah's on Feb. 17, 1978. Upon arrival I was to ask for David Alley, the current PR person or something to that effect. David guided me to the foot of the stage where I sat front and center for the entire performance. He was again to greet me post-show and lead my Grandma and me to the downstairs dressing rooms of K&R. Incidently, for my 15th birthday this flight from Portland, Or. to Tahoe was compliments of my Mom. Grandma was chaperone. At this time Karen was radiant! Looking again much the same as the HORIZON photo shoot. That is why it remains my fave lp cover. Karen was quite petite. Not skinny, but small. I'm only 5'7" yet felt as tho I towered over her 5'4" stature. I remember thinking how in the world does this woman propel that voice, the low notes with such power and conviction? She was very gracious and kind. I felt that Richard on the other hand towered over me. As I entered the door of his dressing room I was somewhat taken aback to see hime smoking a cig that resembled MORES 120's. He too was gracious, talkative and friendly. Much more handsome and far less awkward appearing in person. After about ten or twelve minutes of bouncing between dressing rooms pledging my undying allegiance and appreciaton for their transforming art form my visit concluded with second handshakes, excessive thankyous and goodbye. Coming from an upset youth this meeting was and continues to be the superior highlight for me. The benefit of an 8 year association with the Downey based fan club. This relationship gave me the opportunity to completely indulge myself in each and every bit of memorabilia offered. To this day I have these keepsakes packed safely away in a warm, dry place. I've amassed multiple sets of unopened cd's, mint lp's, posters solo and duo. One special fan club item was the release of Santa Claus is Comin' To Town in its original sleeve. Anyway all of this collecting and the immense pleasure I've associated with the voice of Karen Carpenter always bring bittersweet and poignant memories. When Feb 4th rolls around it is more of a haunting experience than a pleasurable one. I continue to say rest in peace sweet soul, rest in peace. While several years ago I recounted many of these thoughts here at the forum, I want to express my thanks to all of you for indulging me yet again. Somehow theraputic to share, knowing that many of us are in the same boat. Thank you forum and members for being here and providing a place to reminisce, get up-to-the-minute news and commiserate.

Jeff

I understand why Richard isn't publically acknowledging her death, but I too found almost nothing about 30 years gone by without Karen. Not many blog or even professional articles. When it happened many people were heartbroken.

I think in the general realm of pop culture, Karen still isn't seen in the kind of respect she should, in other words, underrated. Ironically, most people remember her by her death of anorexia and yet today that date passes by many. Because she never really had a visual icongraphy (though many people would recognize her face) she has kind of been lost on many people who aren't fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom