Carpenters Quadraphonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another track from the Japanese quad CD-4 LP pressing of "The Singles 1969-73", I've uploaded the quad mix of "Top Of The World"...Her lead vocal really shines here...I hope you enjoy it!

That is SO weird! It's the 1973 re-recorded backing track with Karen's original 1972 lead vocal on it :confused:

That is SO weird! It's the 1973 re-recorded backing track with Karen's original 1972 lead vocal on it :confused:

Which is why Richard has disavowed the quad mixes. They weren't done the way he would have, had he had time to do them.

Harry

Which is why Richard has disavowed the quad mixes. They weren't done the way he would have, had he had time to do them.

Harry

Yes, but it does make for a nice rarity to have the original lead vocal with the overdubbed backing track....:)

MotownBoy- and thank you for the Art Garfunkel quad of "I Only Have Eyes for You". It hold special memories, as my wife and I kinda fell into love while this was part of our musical landscape...

I think I like this version the best of all. It has the punchier instrumentation from the single, and Karen's more understated lead vocal. Perfecto! And what an incredible job by MotownBoy on transferring the quad mix.

On another note....
If you listen closely to the version of "Top of the World" that aired in 1972 on The Bob Hope Special, you'll find it is indeed the same intro from the 1973 single remix, but the show aired in October, 1972. How weird is that?

Obviously, Richard had already begun tinkering with "Top of the World" by the fall of '72. Take a listen.

Hi everyone, thanks for your comments on the quad mix videos - they are very much appreciated!

Here is another one from the Quad CD-4 "Singles 1969-73" LP... The backing vocals really stand out in this mix... I hope you enjoy it.

"We've Only Just Begun"

I've just posted the quad mix of "Only Yesterday" to the original video along with a few pics to take it to the 4:10 length....Here is the link....

Amazing. The quad version opens everything up much more, especially those fabulous backing vocals! I remember Richard was on a UK TV show called 'This Morning' and after they showed this clips he said this track was the one that contained the most vocal overdubs of any track they recorded.

I have posted "Sing" from the Japanese Quad CD-4 LP of "Singles 1969-73." I improvised a video that is part Carpenters and part Muppets and friends singing "Sing." A full video of Karen & Richard performing "Sing" in English doesn't seem to be out there.. I hope you enjoy! Where else will you find R.E.M., the Muppets, and the Carpenters "together?" :)

David

Absolutely awesome, Motown Boy. Thanks again for the great work. So cool to see so many famous people performing "Sing"!

I've just posted the quad mix of "Superstar" set to three performance clips...Listening to this song again in the process of making the video made me re-appreciate what a classic vocal performance Karen gave us. I hope you enjoy it..

I've just posted the quad mix of "Superstar" set to three performance clips...Listening to this song again in the process of making the video made me re-appreciate what a classic vocal performance Karen gave us. I hope you enjoy it..

Damn, that's amazing! I have loved your quad mixes for months now and this is another great treat you have given us.

I love it...I really do!

This might be a stupid question but how exactly does this whole 'quad' thingy work? I have some idea, but did Richard release quad albums in America? And, MotownBoy how did you do your special remix to it?

This might be a stupid question but how exactly does this whole 'quad' thingy work? I have some idea, but did Richard release quad albums in America? And, MotownBoy how did you do your special remix to it?

Hey RD,

I am glad to answer your question.

Quadraphonic was a format to provide four channels of sound...a 1970s version of today's surround sound. Basically four speakers were placed in the four corners of your listening area. New mixes had to be done for this format. In the case of vinyl, the four channels had to be mixed down to two channels with special encoding so that it could be cut into vinyl as a stereo signal and then played back with a special phono cartridge through a decoder that would separate the signal back to four channels.

In the case of the Carpenters' quad releases, Richard was not involved and was reportedly not happy with the results. There were quad releases in the US and some other countries I have a couple of US and Japanese pressings. Basically, I record the music from my turntable to my computer through the sound card. I then judiciously use audio restoration software to remove pops, ticks and turntable rumble and some EQ touch up. These are not remixes from a studio multi-track tape (though I have done some remixes like that of some classics by other artists) , but I take the music and remaster it - making it more presentable in sound quality.

To do the videos, I look for the best clips I can find and create something with them and synchronize the remastered audio.

David :)

Hey RD,

I am glad to answer your question.

Quadraphonic was a format to provide four channels of sound...a 1970s version of today's surround sound. Basically four speakers were placed in the four corners of your listening area. New mixes had to be done for this format. In the case of vinyl, the four channels had to be mixed down to two channels with special encoding so that it could be cut into vinyl as a stereo signal and then played back with a special phono cartridge through a decoder that would separate the signal back to four channels.

In the case of the Carpenters' quad releases, Richard was not involved and was reportedly not happy with the results. There were quad releases in the US and some other countries I have a couple of US and Japanese pressings. Basically, I record the music from my turntable to my computer through the sound card. I then judiciously use audio restoration software to remove pops, ticks and turntable rumble and some EQ touch up. These are not remixes from a studio multi-track tape (though I have done some remixes like that of some classics by other artists) , but I take the music and remaster it - making it more presentable in sound quality.

To do the videos, I look for the best clips I can find and create something with them and synchronize the remastered audio.

David :)

Simply amazing! That's a fascinating process and you always pull through it perfectly! I discovered your work back last November, I believe, when I first discovered the Carpenters' music. You made it even richer in quality.

Now, I just have one favor....please please please do RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS!

Simply amazing! That's a fascinating process and you always pull through it perfectly! I discovered your work back last November, I believe, when I first discovered the Carpenters' music. You made it even richer in quality.

Now, I just have one favor....please please please do RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS!

Hey RD......Rainy Days is coming soon! Thank you for the nice comments.

I don't know if this applies to the quads the Carpenters did, but one thing with the Streisand quads, esp Stoney End, Barbara Joan S, and Butterfly, is that very often there are entirely different vocal tracks by Streisand (versus the mainstream, nonquad release).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom